Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Time for a new router?

This is a discussion on Time for a new router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I have a sky Sagem router which I have had for 18 months or so and it keeps loosing ...

mrrm1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Time for a new router?

Hi,

I have a sky Sagem router which I have had for 18 months or so and it keeps loosing connection to my PC. I have sky broadband unlimited.

If I go to my router set up at 192.168.0.1 then under wireless options I can only choose 54g / 802.11b. Given my PC has an 802.11n wireless card in it, my first question is, is my router outdated and should I expect performance increase with a new router?

My second question is do I need to get a new router through sky, or can I just buy a decent one at PC world? The reason is ask is they have BT and Cable categories of router on their website, I wasn't sure whether BT meant BT only and so would not work on sky broadband?

Finally, under 'show statistics' on my sky router set up webpage it shows a downstream connection speed of 13,678kbps but the fastest I can ever download is 1.0mb/s. Would an 802.11g router with a transfer rate up upto 300mbps be likely to significantly increase my download speeds?

Many thanks for any help in advance.

Rich

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Time for a new router?

If I go to my router set up at 192.168.0.1 then under wireless options I can only choose 54g / 802.11b.
      Set it to 54g only or 54g performance. You may also want to experiment with the channels it is using. The easiest way to do this is to download InSSider from the link below, use it to discover the channels in use in your area. Set yours to a channel as far from those in use as possible.

Sky do not supply an 'N' router at the moment, but it is rumoured that they shortly will do. There is more to using your own router than just plugging it in as you did with the Sky one. Have a look at this section of the forum for more information.-
      Asking for help

An 'N' router will not increase your download speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

mrrm1st is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thank you for the reply.

Per InSSIder there is only one channel in use in my area - Channel 6, while I am using channel 1.

If an N router will not improve my download speed, will anything? What does the 54mbps mean - does increasing that improve performance?

Thanks, Rich

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If an N router will not improve my download speed, will anything?
      Maybe I should clarify that. An 'N' router will not improve your Internet speed but it will improve the speed between your PC and the router, which in turn could improve your actual throughput. You really need to connect using Ethernet to establish a baseline speed. It is not possible to say whether your low speed is entirely due to using wireless or some other problem without doing this. Connect a PC or laptop with an ethernet cable and do a speedtest at Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester and post your result.

54g is the speed you should be connecting to the router, ie, 54 mbps, which is plenty fast enough to carry your internet speed. With a sync speed of 13600kbps you should have a download speed of around 11800kbps. This equates to an actual data transfer speed of 1475KBps or 1.47 MBps.

You could try your router on channel 13 and see if the reception improves.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.