Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sky Wireless Router - set up problems

This is a discussion on Sky Wireless Router - set up problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I am new to this forum and Sky Broadband. I have just been sent my router pack after having ...

Steve Treacle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Wireless Router - set up problems

Hello,

I am new to this forum and Sky Broadband. I have just been sent my router pack after having been activated by Sky a couple of days ago (7-8 weeks after starting my Sky contract!)

I was lead to believe by Sky that the router was wireless and easy to set up. My phone line is working, so I connected the router up to that. However, the next step states that I need to run a small yellow wire from the router to the back of my PC. Well, my telephone point is located on the ground floor and my PC is located in the upstairs spare room on the opposite side of the house!

I ordered Sky Broadband on the whole promise that it was wireless and easy to set up. Is there any way of using it Sky Broadband without connecting this wire to the back of the PC (i.e. so it is actually wireless)? If I can't use the router as a wireless one, I'll have to send it back and cancel Sky Broadband. Any ideas if there is a cooling off period in which I can do this? Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Steve

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Sky Wireless Router - set up problems

The router is wireless enabled, but your computer will also have to be wireless enabled to connect wirelessly i.e. it must have a wireless dongle/nic. Do you know if your desktop is wireless enabled?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks - I am not sure it is. None of this was explained to me when I agreed to set this up with Sky. I believe Sky can provide an adaptor, so hopefully that will sort that out. Not sure how much that will cost? If I get that, will it mean that I do not need to go through the rigmorale of connecting the router to the PC with the ethrenet cable, as advised in the Sky instructions, as that simply won't happen due to the location of the PC. Quite simply, I can only use a Broadband that will not require me to Connect a cable from the PC to the router.

Any further advice appreciated.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Not enough explanation and only caring about a sale is only typical of some sale's agents. Sky can provide an adapter, but it costs around 28 I believe, so you'd be best just purchasing somewhere else for cheaper in my opinion. Getting a wireless adapter will mean you won't have to connect via ethernet at all, that's correct.

There are other methods such as longer ethernet cable & homeplugs, but if you're looking to specifically go wireless, then I'd suggest purchasing a dongle from a pc store.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks, that's helpful.

I am not that technically minded and this whole thing was sold to me as "all you need is for us to send us the set-up pack and you're up and running with Wireless Internet". Then I get the instructions from Sky saying that I need to use an ethranet cable and I thought "what is wireless about that?" I'll get an adaptor and ignore their instructions!

Exchange:
      Thanks

No problemos. You can skip all the instructions and don't even bother with the CD that comes with the pack. As long as the internet light on the router is green (the @ symbol) and as long as you connect wirelessly once you get the adapter, you're good to go.

Sanity is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin XL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Virgin XXL
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Not enough explanation and only caring about a sale is only typical of some sale's agents. Sky can provide an adapter, but it costs around 28 I believe, so you'd be best just purchasing somewhere else for cheaper in my opinion. Getting a wireless adapter will mean you won't have to connect via ethernet at all, that's correct.

There are other methods such as longer ethernet cable & homeplugs, but if you're looking to specifically go wireless, then I'd suggest purchasing a dongle from a pc store.
      Netgear WG111T wireless adapter from Sky is 28. Don't bother with it if you have Windows 7 as its frighteningly out of date. You would need to connect with an ethernet cable to go to the Netgear website and update it.

And I wholeheartedly agree about the sales agents. Sick and tired of having to explain to people they won't necessarily get 20mb just because they are on a 20mb package amongst other things. As far as I'm concerned, if all the facts are not explained to me when I'm purchasing something, thats misselling of a product.