Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Connection drops when phone is used.

This is a discussion on Connection drops when phone is used. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I know there are many topics like this all over the internet but I'm so fed up with them right ...

Thisisnotasmile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

Angry Connection drops when phone is used.

I know there are many topics like this all over the internet but I'm so fed up with them right now I just want my internet to work D=

Basically, for the previous 2 years I've been a student in 2 different student houses. Both times we had O2 broadband and an Argos value cordless phone. Every time the phone was picked up / call made / hung up, the broadband would cut out and take 30 seconds to a couple of minutes to reconnect. This happened for 2 years which was pretty frustrating but I just figured it's only a student house it's not worth messing around with.

I am now out of university living in a flat. I have the same Argos phone but now have my broadband with Sky. Exactly the same thing is happening. I figured that the phone was the common link, and read that some poeple with the problem fixed it by getting a new phone, so I have spent 19.99 on a brand new Phillips cordless phone. This did not fix the problem and it's starting to really annoy me.

I then checked the internet for solutions once more. I have 2 phone sockets in my flat, and generally run the router out of one, and the phone from the other, both through microfilters. I do not know which is the 'master socket', so I have just tried connecting everything to the same socket, through each seperate microfilter, 4 different combinations in all, and none of them have solved the problem.

So, I have 2 microfilters which may or may not both have the same problem, 2 phone sockets of which I do not know which is the 'master socket', 2 cordless phones which both cause my broadband connection to drop AND have had this exact problem with 2 different routers from 2 different broadband providers across 3 different houses.

What can I do to find out what is causing this problem/fix it?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connection drops when phone is used.

Ok, we gotta start ruling out some things first:

1. Is there any noise on the landline?
      2. Do you have another spare filter, bar the two you've been using?
      3. Do both your telephone sockets look the same, or does one have a split through the middle with the two screws located on the bottom half?

Thisisnotasmile is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: York
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

1. It can sometimes be a bit hard to hear what the person on the other end is saying. Dunno if that counts as noise or if they're just quiet. Is there a way to measure noise on the line?

2. I do not.

3. They both look the same.

EDIT: Just found a phone socket in the bedroom (honestly don't know how I missed it). It looks exactly the same as the other two. Would they put the master socket in a bedroom? That's pretty inconvenient if it is...
      Last edited by Thisisnotasmile; 27-09-10 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add some stuff

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The easiest way to trace the master socket is to follow the main incoming BT line and it should be the first socket it is connected too.

If it doesn't have a split face and If you are unsure, remove the front and have a look at the rear, there should be a capacitor on it about the same size as a "aaa" battery.

When you do remove the front, take the opportunity to remove any wire in to terminal 3, you don't need it and it can cause problems.

Post a picture of it and any jinction boxes that may be connected to the line before it.

How to test your ADSL in the Master Test Socket

Finguz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSCA
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sounds like a problem with kit in the exchange. There are a huge number of users on Cable and Wireless LLU with the same issue. A lower upstream profile fixes the problem in 90% of cases.

BLaZeDRas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Longton
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

we had this problem at my house last year, Bt called it a "half-open" line issue or something, and said it can be very hard to pin point where the problem is, only difference is the problem is not completely consistent and sometimes there is noise on the line and sometimes not. This year (since i came back from uni) I have not noticed any line noise or drop outs and im sure they didnt fix it last year, unless it was fixed by someone else complaining (it may have been closer to the exchange so others could have got an engineer out)