Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

can i use old sky router

This is a discussion on can i use old sky router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I need help on two issues. I recently moved back to sky broadband unlimited after 2year gap. I got ...

sanj is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: croydon
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

can i use old sky router

Hi
      I need help on two issues.
      I recently moved back to sky broadband unlimited after 2year gap. I got d-link 2640s. Connection speed of d-link to exchange is in the range of 3000kbps to 3600kbps.(sky told me the average speed 5 to 6mb as distance to exchange is about 1.3km)
      2 years back when i was using netgear 834gt i was connecting around 5000kbps to 6000kbps. So I was wondering that can i use the old netgear router if it is not suspended.

Second question is that d-link stas show that I am connected on adsl(PPPoA). Does it mean that sky has not connected me on adsl2 or is it that d-link can not connect on adsl2. Last time I was on O2 adsl2 and I was connecting at 7000+.
      I would appreciate any help.
      Thank you.
      Sanj

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: can i use old sky router

Quote Originally Posted by sanj View Post
      So I was wondering that can i use the old netgear router if it is not suspended.
      Assuming it is still in working condition and not suspended, then that's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sanj View Post
      Second question is that d-link stas show that I am conected on adsl(PPPoA). Does it mean that sky has not connected me on adsl2 or is it that d-link can not connect on adsl2. Last time I was on O2 adsl2 and I was connecting at 7000+.
      All sky connections, apart from sky connect, are adsl2plus enabled. In fact, DLM puts most, if not all, connections on adsl2plus automatically - even if it'd be better on g.dmt. In other words you're more than likely on adsl2plus anyway.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      Assuming it is still in working condition and not suspended, then that's correct.

All sky connections, apart from sky connect, are adsl2plus enabled. In fact, DLM puts most, if not all, connections on adsl2plus automatically - even if it'd be better on g.dmt. In other words you're more than likely on adsl2plus anyway.
      thanks user05 for a quick reply. I don't have too much knowledge just half cooked info. The reason I am suspecting the connection to be adsl instead of adsl2plus is that O2 router had both connection options. Adsl was connection type PPPoA and Adsl2plus was something like ETH. Sky router is PPPoA so I am assuming it is adsl and that's why my sych speed is low

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Throw up your router stats (link below) and we'll be able to tell whether you're on adsl2plus.

How to get your router statistics

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Have you been through the first 10 days of line testing yet? If not your probably still at the DLM starting speed and waiting should raise it back up automatically.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Thanks Simonmpoulton for pointing out the test period. Yes I am just on the fifth day, so I believe I got to wait 14 days minimum. 10 days testing then 3 days for brass profile to update. I should have gone through the forums first.
      Anyway thanks to you all.
      I'll come back after 14 days with the results whatever they are.

User05 thanks for your reply. Do you think I should still use the test socket on the master socket or should I wait for 2weeks.
      these are my current stats with standard connection to master socket.

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 07:12:40

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 244268 148866 0 20566 1041 03:41:29
      LAN 622647 679738 0 19065 21223 07:12:40
      WLAN 0 0 0 0 0 00:00:00
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3072 kbps 796 kbps
      Line Attenuation 48.0db 29.9db
      Noise Margin 11.4db 10.0db

Poll Interval: (secs)

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Should go up by another 2mb under DLM I would think given those stats, if it doesnt it can however be manually configured by sky after the testing period.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

then 3 days for brass profile to update
      Who told you this? Sky do not use Profiles except on the Connect package, which you are not on. When your line training is finished, it is finished, no more waiting.

Have you tried it in the Test socket? Does your noise margin increase by much?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

By reading other people's comments on different posts, I assumed that 3 day period as normal.

Connecting direct to test socket did not make any difference. That could be as router is plugged direct to master socket and bell wires of extension are disconnected. I have 2 master sockets, running in parallel from the small bt box where the line comes in. I don't know if this can cause some noise.

One thing is puzzling me that on the first and second day line attenuation was 44 and 29, noise margin was 13 ds and 18 us and download speed was 4.5mbps. After 2days it is same as the stats show with very little difference from time to time. Whatever the stats I had no dropouts yet.

I think its better to wait for the test period to finish then I will post the stats here.

btw user05: Old netgear router is working fine with almost identical stats, again I think the test period. One question though, how come I can use netgear when it has different username/password than the current d-link. Does this mean that I can use the netgear username/password on my own router without much problem apart from the t&c issue.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

One question though, how come I can use netgear when it has different username/password than the current d-link. Does this mean that I can use the netgear username/password on my own router without much problem apart from the t&c issue.
      Each router issued by Sky has its own username and password, these work on any Sky enabled line and have nothing to do with the user. You can use the details from your old router to enable your own, T & Cs aside.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast