Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG834GT Router powering down?

This is a discussion on DG834GT Router powering down? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Firstly, I have just joined the forum, so Hi! Secondly, I have been having trouble with my connection and phoning ...

marky1973 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DG834GT Router powering down?

Firstly, I have just joined the forum, so Hi!

Secondly, I have been having trouble with my connection and phoning SKy and looking at various forums and think my router is faulty, but just wanted to run things past some people with a bit more experience than I!

Firstly my speed was bad, so I contacted sky and we got the speed up to 1meg - still not great, but I am a long way from the exchange - these are some recent stats from the router....

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1024 kbps 304 kbps
      Line Attenuation 75.0 db 51.2 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 10.0 db

LA is high but I was under the impression that the NM was 'okay'.......

Anyway, I was having trouble with the signal dropping....variously I would be on the laptop, wirelessly, and I would lose connection.....it usually came back up but it could either just lose the wireless connection or both that and the connection the 'other side' of the router.....

I have been trying all sorts to make it more stable and now have it plugged into the master socket with one phone attached via the filter - the other sockets in the house have nothing plugged in......last night the drops got worse and worse, so I ended up sat next to the router watching it to see what happened.....before it was often the case that the internet light went off, flashed amber, and then went green again....annoying, but it came back up.....then it started losing the internet light and the wireless light.....

Last night, while watching the router, it is now losing all lights, including the power indicator....it all just goes of for a couple of seconds and then comes back up.......

I am now presuming that either the Router or the Adapter are u/s......I will try an alternative adapter tonight to see if that helps, but I just wondered whether this was a common problem and if there were any fixes....or if this is really the end of the line for the router.....must be about 6 years old now?

Sorry for the long first post, but the devil is in the detail as they say.

Hope someone can help......

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: DG834GT Router powering down?

It sounds like the power adaptor is going, this is quite common. If you do need to get a new router from Sky, make sure you swap the adaptor at the same time.

That is the highest attenuation I have seen on ADSL2, you may get a more stable connection on G.DMT.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks mate....will try another adapter tonight - I suspect I will have something around somewhere......and see how that works....

G.DMT - no idea what this is but, from what i can gather, I will need to contact sky to get this changed....

Glad I am the 'best' at something with high attentuation figures! You should have seen me a week ago when my my speeds dropped to 60kbps......actually maybe not, it wasn't a pretty site!

Thanks again

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well tried a different adapter last night and still the same problem........plan B is to get hold of a spare router and try that.....