Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Cannot open any ports on DG834GT

This is a discussion on Cannot open any ports on DG834GT within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, This is driving me nuts! I used to have no problems opening the ports on my DG834GT router. ...

Gordicron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cannot open any ports on DG834GT

Hi all,

This is driving me nuts! I used to have no problems opening the ports on my DG834GT router. The last time I did this was a couple of years ago. Now I've set up a server which is behind a firewall box.

Net surfing etc. works fine. However I cannot open any ports for inbound traffic. I go into the config in the router, create the rule and point it to the firewall box, which has the corresponding port opened.

However whatever port I try, when I test it using PFPortChecker, GRC ShieldsUp and some others on the net, it is still shown as Stealthed.

I've tried it with an alternative firewall box - completely different machine running Smoothwall (the other runs IPCop) and exactly the same problem. I've tried putting the firewall box in the DMZ on the router - still the opened ports on the firewall box show as Stealthed.

I've removed all the old port forwards and tried just that one pointing to the firewall box. I even tried pointing it directly at the server, out of desperation. Still stealthed. I've also tried numerous other port numbers. Still stealthed.

I've tried resetting the router but the same problem still persists. It seems that whatever port I configure to be open on the router it isn't actually being opened.

I've tested the ports on the server itself and can confirm that it is open and waiting. I find it a bit hard to believe that two separate firewall boxes could have the same problem so all signs are pointing to the router...

The port I currently have set up is 7878... I can't imagine this is being blocked by Sky?

Any ideas before I take a hammer to it?

- Gord

P.S. have already read the guides here - I'm doing exactly as they say for setting the port forwards up. Still no dice.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Cannot open any ports on DG834GT

Have you actually tried moving traffic through the port, or are you relying on ShieldsUp reporting its condition?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Gordicron is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Have you actually tried moving traffic through the port, or are you relying on ShieldsUp reporting its condition?
      Yep - it's for a mail server (forwarded on by a mail forwarding service). I can see the forwarding service's servers try to send the mail on to my server using the port I've designated (7878) and then it times out.

I also tried it with some P2P software (eMule). Even with the ports supposedly open it complains of a LowID and suggests opening the ports.

It's weird because I opened some ports on there a couple of years back and they worked fine then. I'm wondering if the firmware update has broken something?

- Gord

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If you reset the router and tried it through dmz then the problem your having will be with your computers firewall configuration or another firewall you have incorrectly configured in the loop.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I've tried putting the firewall box in the DMZ on the router - still the opened ports on the firewall box show as Stealthed.
      As Simon says this suggests the problem is with your firewall box. The only way to check this for certain is to bypass the firewall box and DMZ to an unprotected server. You will know the risk associated with this, but doing a quick ShieldsUp test should not cause too many problems.

Isn't using a firewall box behind a router overkill, or are you the belt and braces type.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.