Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG934G or D-Link DSL-2640S

This is a discussion on DG934G or D-Link DSL-2640S within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I am looking for opinions on the following Sky Routers DG934G or D-Link DSL-2640S Does anyone half any tales ...

Seville is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

DG934G or D-Link DSL-2640S

Hi

I am looking for opinions on the following Sky Routers

DG934G
      or D-Link DSL-2640S

Does anyone half any tales to tell on these Routers. I have had the DG934G for the past 2 and a half years and have had no issues. Is any of them better than the other.

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: DG934G or D-Link DSL-2640S

The DG934g, which has an TiAR7 chipset works well on a BT line (ie non Sky rental), if you have Sky rental and are on the SVBN then the D-Link should be better as it uses the Broadcom chipset, which should be compatible with Sky's exchange equipment, also Broadcom. The original DG834GT and the Sagem also have Broadcom chipsets, so in theory, should work well with SVBN.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Seville View Post
      Hi

I am looking for opinions on the following Sky Routers

DG934G
      or D-Link DSL-2640S

Does anyone half any tales to tell on these Routers. I have had the DG934G for the past 2 and a half years and have had no issues. Is any of them better than the other.

Thanks

I have just got the D-Link, but my broadband doesn't go live till Monday 6 September. I would be interested too in seeing how he D-Link performs compared to the others. There isnt much mentioned about the D-Link's yet, they are still too new I suppose.

I was wanting to receive a Netgear, but it wasn't to be.

AlexS is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The DG934G has a Texas Instruments chipset, the DSL-2640S has Broadcom.
      TI AR7 chipset generally syncs slightly faster than Broadcom, but isn't as stable on lines that suffer from interference.

jo3y Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

DSL-2640S.

The wireless has a much better range, the router appears to have QoS for ensuring everything on the network runs smoothly and it allows for mixed WPA/WPA2 encryption. DG934G could be firmware updated to do WPA2 mind.

The sync speed and throughput is slightly lower but I don't care so much for that seen as all my family are much happier with the better network service.

What I would say though is that if this is the new router that's been rumoured for September it's a slight disappointment. Wireless N would have been nice!

Thanks

The reason I am asking is that I was experiencing issue due to a low SNR margin. There seems to be a lot of good feedback on Netgears saying that they can cope well with low SNR margins. Sky support were very good when dealing with my issue and in the course of the call, sent me a new router prior to BT having to come. It is the D Link so I have the beauty of being able to use either at the moment and wondered what was best at handling loe SNR margins. My Netgear has never let me down - so far.......

Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

In preparation for getting my connection with Sky, I have been setting up my D-Link DSL-2640S router, changing channel number to a known channel I know works well for me. Changing the SSID to a more memorable name. I wanted to do this so that I could basically just plug in the D-Link DSL-2640S on connection day and have everything setup, rather than altering settings that could/would cause the router to reboot whilst I am under DLM.

I found that the D-Link DSL-2640S had a slightly better wireless range/coverage in my house than my present Netgear DG834GT.

It will be interesting to see how the new Sky router (D-Link DSL-2640S) compares with the previous models Sky have supplied i.e. SAGEM, Netgear.

I wish someone would find a way to extract the username and password from the D-Link DSL-2640S. At least when this happens, people will have the option to use a router of their own choice if this wish to do so (this is against the T&C of Sky broadband I will add).

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tal71 View Post
      I wish someone would find a way to extract the username and password from the D-Link DSL-2640S. At least when this happens, people will have the option to use a router of their own choice if this wish to do so (this is against the T&C of Sky broadband I will add).
      I think we'll need james67 to do that as he did the previous routers

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

fuzzy logic is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
      The DG934G has a Texas Instruments chipset, the DSL-2640S has Broadcom.
      TI AR7 chipset generally syncs slightly faster than Broadcom, but isn't as stable on lines that suffer from interference.
      Can't comment on the Dlink one, but I've used a Netgear DG834G which is the same hardware as the DG934G, but with standard Netgear firmware and case, and the Sky Netgear DG834GT with Sky's firmware on both a BT based ISP prior to Sky taking over my line, and on Sky (Globspan DSLAM).

The broadcom based Sky DG834GT with Sky firmware synced at a higher rate than the AR7 based dg834g on my line both prior to sky taking the line over (with the sky log-in over-ridden to make it connect to my then current ISP), and since connected to Sky's LLU network. However prior to Sky introducing DLM I did have to limit the sync rate of the sky dg834gt a little to prevent near 100% HEC errors and no throughput in the evening - still performed better than the ar7 based one though.

Since getting sky, I've also used a Netgear DG834N which has a faster broadcom chipset (BCM6358 I think) and that synced slightly faster than any of the others and with no HEC error problems and also performed much better than the DG834GT when my line developed a fault - seemed to be much better at correcting errors and at retaining sync. Such a shame it packed up!

Thanks

After using the 2 different Routers, it would appear that the Dlink appears to be the better Router. When using the Dlink, both my SNR Margins(upstream and down) appear to be to be higher. My downstream increased by nearly 3db and the upstream increased by 6db. This is while using all the same cables to connect both Routers. I have not saw an increase in sync speed as my speed is capped anyway

Please remember, this is only my findings and may not be the same for anyone else