Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Should router resync?

This is a discussion on Should router resync? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I am currently awaiting the arrival of my router, at present my old Netgear DG834G is reporting an internet connection ...

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Should router resync?

I am currently awaiting the arrival of my router, at present my old Netgear DG834G is reporting an internet connection although as my line has been migrated I can no longer log on using my previous user details.

I am presently monitoring the line stats in anticipation of receiving my shiny new router which I know has problems...

During my monitoring my line sync'd at 2656 with 6db SNR and 62db Line Attentuation, I am 5.25km from exchange and using a filtered adsl port direct from master with CAT 5e cabling courtesy of my brother so I know there is not much else internally that can affect the line quality. At least 2MB is better than 1MB and cheaper than my 1MB line so I more than happy with this. I always knew I would be lucky to get anywhere above 2MB with my line quality.

My question is when the line does drop as it appeared to do last night the Internet light remained on and was reporting connected but with no line speed and a SNR figure in the millions I think, so obviously noise got bad and the line dropped. I would have thought in this circumstance that the router would simply retrain the line instead of the end user having to reboot the router to do this. I rebooted the router at it sync'd at 2272kbps with 61db attenutaion and a flucuating SNR of between 3 and 6db. So far since that reboot the line has appeared to be stable although I have no real way of monitoring this since as I am not connected to the Internet the WAN uptime is zero.

I had an Speedtouch 510V4 router which did this when my 1MB line which was initially a very unstable 2MB line dropped the connection.

Should the router not be doing this automatically as reporting a connection seed of 0kbps in either direction means there is no line there and it should retrain.

2. Advertisement
      Amaboknaai is online now Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01276 Camberley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Asus RT-AC68U
      Thanks
      A short answer:

You can't troubleshoot anything until you are properly migrated, since there is nothing connected to "the other end of the line" (i.e. no ISP's router). BT could be fiddling / Sky (EasyNet) could be fiddling....

Your line will do up and down and will reflect the variable stats that you are getting.

Be patient and wait for your connection....difficult, I know, but that's part of the process.

dingdong is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      For some reason the sky router is not very good at resyncing itself when things get bad on the line. A well timed manual reboot usually sorts things out. If you then leave it on 24/7 you should get no problems

boab2791 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lennoxtown (WSLEX)
      Broadband ISP: Talk Talk
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Thanks Dingdong for your answer to my question. While I appreciate Amaboknaai's reply I realise I am not fully connected to the Sky Network as yet and no one is more frustrated about this than I.

I was however asking a question about Netgear router resync's and why they don't seem to occur when the the line obviously isn't there anymore when the router reports a speed of 0kbps in either direction, I was not attempting to troubleshoot my connection at this point as Sky are being a right royal pain in the you know where at getting me a router sent out.

But thanks for your valued input.

irishshadow is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Should router resync?

i know this may not be an topic that you may be able to answer but ive had sky broadband for about a year and its been perfect but my relative got in sky broadband and his internet is working fine but its his xbox live when it connects to it he can play with other people for a coupleof minutes and all the lights on the router are green but then it starts to struggle and starts flashing green orange then eventuallly goes orange and his xbox live messes up but his laptop is fine

any ideas of the problem?
      ive rang sky and they cant see the problem but it isnt the router because i tryed mine in their house and it has done the same thing

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Should router resync?

Post the router stats, from the currect position and also the test socket, also if he is using wireless for the Xbox this can be a pain, either hard wire it or get a couple of homeplugs.