Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Using my spare router to boost signal upstairs

This is a discussion on Using my spare router to boost signal upstairs within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi. I have a spare sky router as we had a replacement sent to us due to slow speed coming ...

sjholland87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Using my spare router to boost signal upstairs

Hi. I have a spare sky router as we had a replacement sent to us due to slow speed coming from the router so the person at customer services sent us a new one.

It works fine now. So I have decided to keep it instead of chucking it in the bin. The new router is a D-link router and while the signal strength has improved upstairs, it still seems to fluctuate between full and 1 bar on a regular basis (much like my 3G connection on my phone). So I am thinking of running the old router upstairs through LAN from the new D-link one (the old one is the netgear router) to improve the signal strength. Can anybody point me in the right way to set this up if possible?

We also have an old Huawei router from when we were on talktalk in case there is no way to do it from the netgear one.

Thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Using my spare router to boost signal upstairs

yup it is very possible as I am doing here as my wife wants wi-fi in the living room and I can only find a limited amount of routers that will work with her wi-fi card

Anyways here is what you need to do

Make sure both routers are in the same IP range Sky routers come as 192.168.0.1 as the default. (So keep the new router as 192.168.0.1)

On the netgear set the router's IP address to 192.168.0.250 or something nice and high which you can remeber or write it down.

On the netgear turn OFF DCHP

Then connect the 2 routers up by ethernet cable or by using homeplugs

So the system should look like this.

Internet - New Dlink router - Ethernet cable - Netgear with IP address changed and DCHP turned OFF.

Then set up the wirless on the netgear to a different channel and SSID to the dlink.

Or you can turn it off on the d-link if you don't want to use that router for wireless.

That's how I have done mine.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

sjholland87 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Using my spare router to boost signal upstairs

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      yup it is very possible as I am doing here as my wife wants wi-fi in the living room and I can only find a limited amount of routers that will work with her wi-fi card

Anyways here is what you need to do

Make sure both routers are in the same IP range Sky routers come as 192.168.0.1 as the default. (So keep the new router as 192.168.0.1)

On the netgear set the router's IP address to 192.168.0.250 or something nice and high which you can remeber or write it down.

On the netgear turn OFF DCHP

Then connect the 2 routers up by ethernet cable or by using homeplugs

So the system should look like this.

Internet - New Dlink router - Ethernet cable - Netgear with IP address changed and DCHP turned OFF.

Then set up the wirless on the netgear to a different channel and SSID to the dlink.

Or you can turn it off on the d-link if you don't want to use that router for wireless.

That's how I have done mine.
      Cheers matey. Tomorrow's job sorted (or tonight's during Match of the Day).

There's something in the floorboards apparently which causes the signal drop. The same happens next door as well. Should Finally solve this problem