Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Router Ports

This is a discussion on Router Ports within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have a 32 bit Vista home premium laptop and a 64 bit Win7 home premium desktop. I have had ...

Smiling Carcass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Digital
      Thanks

Router Ports

I have a 32 bit Vista home premium laptop and a 64 bit Win7 home premium desktop. I have had the Vista laptop wirelessly connected to the desktop but was unable to connect from the Win 7 desktop to the laptop. I have now connected the desktop to the laptop, but the laptop will not connect to the desktop. I have read hundreds of tips as to what is wrong, but none have worked so far.

I read, researching something else about firewalls causing problems with wireless lans, in particular Norton 360. Since I only use the router firewall at home, I knew this wasn’t my issue, but decided that the hardware firewall might be causing problems.
      It is set to block all incoming connections unless I specify a service, so I have decided to name my laptop as a service and specifically allow it to see if that rectifies the problems.

Can anybody advise as to what ports I should use in the ‘add custom service’ page?

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Ports

You should not have to do any of this so I don't think that is the answer.

Do a full reset on the router and then try again, turn off the woreless security and try, if it woks without it then you have the setup wrong.

Also, ensure all your drivers are up to date for you wireless card.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Ahh win 7 has added security built in which MS doesn't really say much about.

It took me an age to get the darn thing talking to my Xbox and PS3.

Make sure all the computers are in the same workgroup.

On the win 7 machine, go to Control Panel, Homegroup and click on the "change advanced sharing settings"

Turn off password protected sharing and see if that helps.

On norton you will have to put everything back how it was and there should be a wizard to set up the home network.

For me now it is such a pain in the bum getting my 2 PC's to talk to each other I just use big memory keys to transfer files rather than the LAN.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You should not have to do any of this so I don't think that is the answer.

Do a full reset on the router and then try again, turn off the woreless security and try, if it woks without it then you have the setup wrong.

Also, ensure all your drivers are up to date for you wireless card.
      This is Vista and Win 7 and they don’t play nice. I know professional technicians who have difficulty networking Win 7 with anything else. I’ve tried all the tips, tricks and advice. This is just a ‘clutching at straws’ strategy. If something gives me an idea, I will give it a try.

The settings have been checked, double checked and triple checked. Home networking should not be this difficult. I know it isn’t Sky’s fault , but I just need a clue to the router ports. Anyway, I tried ports 100 – 65555 and it still didn’t work, so as you say this probably isn’t the issue.

I did have my desktop connected to the laptop and used Allwaysync to synchronise important files. However, this morning it suddenly cannot connect. Nothing has changed in the Allwaysync settings, though I did re-enter them network path and username/password to no avail.

I have been satisfied(!) with the one way connection, but now even that doesn’t work. If I weren’t going back to college in September, I’d be switching all my machines to Linux- unfortunately my course requires Windows and its applications!

PS
      i can ping both machines from each other and the router. Win 7 network map shows the laptop at the bottom of the screen and says The following device(s) can not be placed in the map.

'
      Last edited by Smiling Carcass; 20-08-10 at 11:58 AM. Reason: More info

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

The network map has to have all the componets in it to be compatable with Win7.

My network switch and router aren't and so I can't even get a network map up so I wouldn't worry about that.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unless you are trying to connect your Laptop to the PC over the internet, there is no need to open any ports. If you are just trying to set up a Local network have a look at this article which gives a fairly detailed account of how to set up a Network including Win 7.
      InformIT: How to Network Windows 7, Vista, and XP Computers > Verify that You're Using NTFS on Your Hard Drives

If you want to use Homegroup, which works well with 2 or more Win 7 PCs, download these instructions from MS. Unless you have Office 2010, get the .doc one for convenience.
      Download details: Windows 7 & HomeGroup: Downlevel Sharing

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks, folks. Isitme, I know what your saying about the ports, but this is so frustrating I'd try a car battery and jump leads if somebody said it might help! (Not really!) I’ll try your link when I have time to sit and do it properly.
      One curious thing- I tried connecting to the desktop from laptop by putting in the computers name on the network instead of my username and my password and it opened up the computer but didn’t give me access to the drives saying:

Network Error

Windows cannot access \\Paulspissy\d

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

Error code: 0x80070005
      Access is denied.

Diagnose doesn’t help!

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Thanks

Right you have a simple problem there, you need to supply windows with a user name and password to login to the other computer with. It will NOT work if you have a user account with no password. When you type your \\<ComputerName> into run you should get Please enter a name and password to login to <ComputerName>
      If you arent getting that then do the following:
      Open Computer and bring up the menu bar
      Tools-Map Network Drive
      \\<ComputerName>\<ShareName> In the folder box
      Check the box "connect using different credentials or the button login with a different username
      Enter the username and password of your other computer (the one your trying to connect to)
      Once you've clicked ok/finished the wizard you should be connected up with a mapped drive.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

SimonPoulton-
      Thanks for the attempt but I still get the request for username and password no matter how many times I enter them.

When I omit the share name I get the error message –

Network Error

Windows cannot access \\PaulsPissy

Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.

[Diagnose]
      [Expanded Information]
      Error code: 0x800704b3
      The network path was either typed incorrectly, does not exist, or the network provider is not currently available. Please try retyping the path or contact your network administrator.

If I choose diagnose I get –

Windows Network Diagnostics

Windows cannot connect to the server "PaulsPissy"

[Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically] [Cancel]

Another strange thing- my daughter doesn’t connect to the network and has a different ‘Workgroup’ but I can access her laptop with her username and password. Her laptop is Vista, same as mine so I still think it is a Win 7 problem. I was under the impression computers could only connect with the same workgroup?

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Thanks

Could be it's trying to login using credentials from your own machine rather than the one your logging into. Try putting <ComputerName>\<UserName> instead of just <UserName>.
      Bear in mind the password is case sensitive, I cant believe it is a windows 7 problem as I have numerous machines win 2k, win xp, vista and 7 and all of them talk to each other just fine.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast