Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Router Ports

This is a discussion on Router Ports within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Simonpoulton- I’ve tried both with and without username, with and without computer name, tried using the logins from both machines ...

Smiling Carcass is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Digital
      Thanks

Re: Router Ports

Simonpoulton-

I’ve tried both with and without username, with and without computer name, tried using the logins from both machines (even though I know it shouldn’t work using the logins from the machine I am connecting from) I’ve tried the network login and just leaving everything blank.

i've looked at services and cannot see anything not running that should be.

I just don’t understand what has happened. I sync the machines with Allwaysync and it just stopped working one morning when I logged on. I left it for a day or two in case it sorted itself out. I checked the settings of both machines and couldn’t see anything wrong and scanned with AVG, Malwarebytes, Smitfraud (on the Vista machine- won’t run on Win 7) Combofix and Spybot.

Both machines are shown in the network and on the network map. I can ping both machines and the router. Each machine is aware the other exists on the network but will not connect.

This is so frustrating. I am back at college soon and it is not essential but so much easier than using thumb drives to transfer data each time I do some work at college and is convenient to have other files synced.

CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT!

I know MS want us all to move on, but did they have to make things so difficult? (Whether by design or omission). Reading other peoples stories they are tending to revert to XP rather than upgrade another machine to Win 7. But I can’t (and won’t be beaten, anyhow!) revert to XP. I have built my son a basic machine and my XP is on that.

Thanks for trying to help, all the same Simon. Each time somebody suggests a new idea, it gives fresh hope!

PS
      If i can find a spare ehternet cable, i am going to try a physical connection. it will be interesting to see if that will work. I'll post back if and when i have some fresh info- good or bad!
      Last edited by Smiling Carcass; 24-08-10 at 09:25 AM. Reason: More info

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

PS
      If i can find a spare ehternet cable, i am going to try a physical connection. it will be interesting to see if that will work. I'll post back if and when i have some fresh info- good or bad!
      If you mean you want to connect the 2 machines directly and bypass the router, you will need a crossover cable for that. An ordinary straight through ethernet cable will not work.

I am pretty sure it is something to do with Homegroup that is causing the problem. It works perfectly with 2 or more Win 7 machines but seems to cause problems with another OS.

I have Win 7 networked with 2 XP machines, one works perfectly both ways, the other cannot access the Win 7, although Win 7 can access its shared folder and move files back and forwards. That is all I need, so I have not bothered trying to fix it in case I loose the connection completely.

If you are stuck, this cable is a good alternate to networking -
      Belkin Easy Transfer Cable for Windows 7: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

If you are in a homegroup then you can try the leaving homegroup option in the homegroup settings.
      Additionally go into advanced sharing settings and ensure for Home Or Work:
      Network Discovery - ON
      File and Printer Sharing - ON
      Public Folder Sharing - ON
      128-Bit Encryption
      Password Protected Sharing - Mine is ON but you might want to try OFF
      Homegroup Connections - Allow windows to manage
      Save Changes

Finally check in the network and sharing center that the network type is "Home" if it is "Public" then the file sharing wont work.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you mean you want to connect the 2 machines directly and bypass the router, you will need a crossover cable for that. An ordinary straight through ethernet cable will not work.
      I am aware of that, isitme but that would have defeated the object, to test a physical network. But thanks anyway. I was going to make a physical connection through the router to see if that would network. Couldn’t find a spare cable anyway.

However, thanks to everybody who tried to help, but I found the solution- as is often the case in these scenario’s- by accident!

I was unable to change my user password on the win 7 machine. Kept getting the error that the original password was not recognised. I know it was correct and still don’t understand what was going on, unless that interface uses a different keyboard layout? I have had that issue in XP when using safe mode with command prompt. Anyhow, while looking for a solution for this I came across a site that was using ‘net use’ to check connections between machines. It worked from laptop to desktop, but not the other way. The advisor asked what the result of ‘net use’ was if both machines had the same password. So, to change the password (thanks to the advice on another forum) I activated win 7’s hidden admin account, changed the password on my win 7 user account to the same one as the laptop and now both machines connect! I can see everything on the desktop from the lap[top, and everything on the laptop from the desktop!

So anybody with similar issues, while it may not work for you try using the same passwords on machines that won’t connect.

Thanks again for all the help.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That probably explains why one of my XP machines, running Pro, behaves itself when the other doesn't. I always use the same password in my home machines and use it in the Pro one and Win 7. The other, an XP Home does not have a password set up, so the communication is one way.

Thanks for getting back to us.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That probably explains why one of my XP machines, running Pro, behaves itself when the other doesn't. I always use the same password in my home machines and use it in the Pro one and Win 7. The other, an XP Home does not have a password set up, so the communication is one way.

Thanks for getting back to us.
      Not sure if the username is important since I use the same usernames anyway. If the password change doesn't work, check usernames.

I only have one issue with this and that is security. For me with my laptop/desktop connection at home and a secured network I am not too bothered. But in a business environment or a wider home network that possibly includes non-family members it could be an issue having the same password and username on all PC's. So beware!

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      Could be it's trying to login using credentials from your own machine rather than the one your logging into. Try putting <ComputerName>\<UserName> instead of just <UserName>.
      Windows 7 sends the host machine name unless told not to. So even if your usernames are identical the domains will be different.

Typing {backslash}{username on target PC} should work - e.g. if the username is Carcass type \Carcass in the username box and whatever password you have set in the other (leave blank if there isn't a password). That tells Windows to use the username on the root domain. Checking the 'save my credentials box' is patchy, but I find it usually works in an Explorer window by typing \\{targetname}\{username} in the address bar.

Setting the network location to Work in preference to Home or Public is also recommended.

Thanks

Thanks, Mr Spouse but now everything is working, I really don't want to start changing stuff- just in case!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12