Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router keeps disconnecting and rebooting internet every few minutes D:

This is a discussion on Router keeps disconnecting and rebooting internet every few minutes D: within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, i really hope someone can help me because this is getting crazy My internet with SKY was perfect ...

NekoAlvien is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Unhappy Router keeps disconnecting and rebooting internet every few minutes D:

Hi guys, i really hope someone can help me because this is getting crazy

My internet with SKY was perfect for the first couple months, i went away on holiday and when i got back and checking my e-mails i noticed that the router was intermittently disconnecting itself and then trying to reboot (everytime the internet went down i would check the router and sure enough it would be flashing its little orange light at me), of course this is very annoying getting only a few minutes of internet at a time.

*crazyness just happened*

I have just taken off the faceplate on my socket and plugged it right in and at the start it didnt look like it made any difference it was only when i decided to reset the router to factory settings (which didnt help either) and then reusing the saved settings i had saved from the router (just to be safe) its suddenly started behaving again O_o currently on an uptime of 25mins and still going, i dont know what i could have done, but im not getting my hopes up just yet, if this problem comes back are there any tips experienced helpers might provide?

The intermittent connection has been going on for a few days now, it started off not that bad (maybe getting 20 minutes of online time before it reboots) but tonight it was disconnecting and reconnecting every 10 seconds!

I hope miraculously i have cured it with my ignorant poking and playing with it....if not im sure ill be back here

Any help in regards to this problem would be very much appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Neko

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router keeps disconnecting and rebooting internet every few minutes D:

Post your router stats from both positions.

How to get your router statistics

It could be the PSU, do you have another adaptor or router you could try?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Unless your internal wiring has been causing the problem, as Smithy says, it is probably a dodgy PSU. The seems to happen more often with the Sagems than the Netgears.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Since the arrival of new solid sate power components I have found every thing that has faled on me over the last couple of years have been the PSU side of things.

Also it used to be if a PSU went wrong it blew and that it was dead, now they seem to be able to hang on and give reduced voltages which doesn't do much good as that just confuses the issue over what is wrong.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Small update:

Everything seems to be running smoothly this morning, no disconnection as of yet, its very strange....anyway here are the stats as requested just to be on the safe side incase it decides to pack in again

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 8189 kbps 591 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 25.9 db
      Noise Margin 8.4 db 8.3 db

Thanks

Are these from the Test socket, if they are you may have internal wiring problems? Apart from a slightly low upload they look fine.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

They are from the test socket, should I try and put the socket all back together and try again? I got it workign again, i dont really want to touch it XD

Update:

Okay i plugged everything back in again and it seems to be holding strong...just another strange thing to happen, i really have no idea what could have caused it to start working again...was it resetting and reloading the settings on the router that did it? O_o i dont know but it all seems to be running fine now :3

Non-Test Socket stats:

onnection Speed 8190 kbps 605 kbps
      Line Attenuation 40.0 db 25.8 db
      Noise Margin 7.6 db 10.1 db

Thanks again everyone for all the help anyway
      Last edited by NekoAlvien; 20-08-10 at 04:42 PM. Reason: adding new info

Thanks

If it starts dropping again, pop it back into the Test socket. The problem with interference from internal wiring is that it might not be constant. Your wiring may be picking up interference from a source that is not active at the moment.

TomD

Useful Utilites