Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help with port Forwarding

This is a discussion on Help with port Forwarding within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I have an Edimax IC-7000 hard wirerd in my Sky Sagem router. I have tryed for two days to ...

Bover 001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01827
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Help with port Forwarding

Hi I have an Edimax IC-7000 hard wirerd in my Sky Sagem router.
      I have tryed for two days to get it to work with my router I have setup DynDNS Updater as my Ip is not static, but all I can do with it is to run it on the test software.
      I need to set up so I can see it off the web.
      I tryed to setup port forwarding but I just can not get working. Can some one please, please give me a big dummy's guide to set it up because it is no good as a 120 pound a pan & tilt door stop.
      Regards Bover

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Help with port Forwarding

What currently happens when you point a web browser to your external IP address? Do you get the router login page come up?
      Have you filled in the screen with the default gateway etc? The default gateway will be the 192.168.0.1 IP address,
      your camera needs to be on a fixed IP (I would suggest 192.168.0.254 to keep it out of the way),
      It isusing port 80 by default so you would forward port 80 HTTP traffic on the router to your external IP address.
      When accessing it try typing in your external IP address with :80 on the end of it.

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Help with port Forwarding

Quote Originally Posted by Bover 001 View Post
      I need to set up so I can see it off the web.
      Are you looking at it from a PC inside your network or one outside it? If the PC is part of the same network as the router then typing in the Sky (90.xxx.xxx.xxx) address will bring up the router settings screen, as it can't resolve IP addresses internally.

To view the camera internally you type the IP address of the camera (e.g. 192.168.1.3, assuming your PC takes 192.168.1.2) - it's a good idea to give equipment like this a fixed address (Advanced/LAN IP Setup/Address Reservation) then you can always get to it the same way whatever is connected to the network. Port forwarding is a simple matter of directing port 80 to the camera's IP and typing the external (Sky) IP address in a router outside your network.

One thing about DynDNS - the router's updater is normally set to correct the IP address when it changes. If you are 'always on' then your external Sky IP won't change very often. DynDNS can remove accounts if they are not updated regularly (it used to be every 29 days), so it's good to manually refresh the settings every so often, or find an application that will do it automatically.