Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

router logs not showing

This is a discussion on router logs not showing within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi. We have just been sent a new router by sky as the old one was only working intermittently. The ...

teapot7123 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01530
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

router logs not showing

Hi.
      We have just been sent a new router by sky as the old one was only working intermittently. The new one is a sagem. I have connected everything and it all works fine but I needed to set up the security on the router to block certain sites by word. Had done this without any problem on the old router (young teens and pre teens have been trying to access unsuitable stuff ) but the new router logs are not showing, the box is blank. We would like to know when and how often blocked sites are tried and what they are which we cannot do without seeing the logs. Any help appreciated.
      Thank

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

Re: router logs not showing

Is there a section with options on what to include in the Log. I don't have a Sagem, but the old Netgear allows you to tick several boxes, one of which is 'Attempted access to blocked sites'. If none of the boxes are ticked you will not see anything in the Log.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

yes I've ticked all the boxes. It's exactly the same as the set up for the netgear previously used. I just can't work out why the log is blank. Thanks for the suggestion though.
      Also the blocked list doesn't seem to be working, I can access sites that should be blocked based on key words, seems the router is not accepting my settings for some reason. please tell me I'm not going to spend an hour on the phone to sky???
      Last edited by teapot7123; 10-08-10 at 09:23 PM.

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teapot7123 View Post
      yes I've ticked all the boxes. It's exactly the same as the set up for the netgear previously used. I just can't work out why the log is blank. Thanks for the suggestion though.
      Also the blocked list doesn't seem to be working, I can access sites that should be blocked based on key words, seems the router is not accepting my settings for some reason. please tell me I'm not going to spend an hour on the phone to sky???
      The Netgear has a 'Never', 'Per Schedule', 'Always' option for the Keyword list (the default is 'never'), if the Sagem also has this check you don't have a schedule set or ensure its set to always. Test it by entering something straightforward such as BBC as a keyword (remember to press apply) and go to BBC - Homepage

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

You should at least be seeing the Admin login record if you have the box ticked, so something is wrong.
      There have been reports that the Block Sites feature on some of the Sky routers just does not work. You are remembering to click the Apply button when you have made the entries?
      Try resetting your router by pushing a pin in the reset hole at the rear. Hold it there for 10 secs or until the lights flash. This can often cure glitches in the operation.
      If these don't work, all you can do is phone Sky with your problem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Unhappy Re: router logs not showing

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I have done all of that with no joy. I guess it's the dreaded lengthy phone call. If I find anything that resolves it will post to let you know for future use.
      Thanks again

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Have you changed any of the Firewall rules?

Have a look at this thread: Netgear DG834G v4 - Blocking Sites (or not) :: DSL Hardware Discussion :: think broadband

"I found out what seems to be the root cause, it was my firewall rules." ...
      "I used to have an outgoing rule to block "Any(All)" connections, and then build on top of that with allowed ports for email, news, browsing etc. This let me divide my network so that the kids' PC couldn't get infected with whatever rubbish they download and start sending rubbish everywhere."

chriswyatt is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WHITCHURCH
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I found out that if you ask it to send the router logs to a syslog server it doesn't show the router logs on the router page. This probably isn't the reason though, especially if you've already tried resetting.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Thanks

This probably isnt the answer you wanted to hear but I would actually recommend a software solution installed on the computers you want to filter the sites out on, these have lists which can block out certain categories and make it much easier to manage.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simonmpoulton View Post
      This probably isnt the answer you wanted to hear but I would actually recommend a software solution installed on the computers you want to filter the sites out on, these have lists which can block out certain categories and make it much easier to manage.
      The problem is the kids using their ipods rather than computers to access and download stuff through the wireless network. Does anyone know of any other way to put parental controls onto the router? I'd like to confiscate all gadgets and make them go outside to 'play' all summer but apparantly that's not what kids do these days!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast