Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Best UMA router

This is a discussion on Best UMA router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok, I have unwrapped all of the wires. The main feed comes in and is connected to a smaller wire ...

Davidz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Best UMA router

Ok, I have unwrapped all of the wires.

The main feed comes in and is connected to a smaller wire with the two connectors shown, this then goes straight into the BT master socket as in other pictures.

I could cut the wires before the plastic see through joints and pull the wire through the wall to connect directly to the master socket without any joins, would be tight though as wall is quite thick - what do you think?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think it would help any and really this area 'belongs' to BT so they might not look too kindly on you doing that.

Have you cut off the other extension? What are your stats like?

The second cable definitely looks like your electricity supply, the builders must have brought it in through the same duct as the phone. Not all areas allow this, but yours obviously does.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

When I unwrapped the wires it turned out nothing was actually connected apart from the two wires shown (translucent plastic connectors)

Stats are the same really,

Thanks

I'm afraid that is all you can do. If you decide to connect the extension then get a filtered faceplate to prevent it interfering with your signal. If you are not you will get the same result from the faceplate on your master socket as you do from the test socket.

It is a bit strange you have a spare cable from the service box. Maybe it is provision for another phone line, should you need one.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Yup, at least I know everything is ok up to the socket -

Did you get a chance to have a look at post 23 now it's in a rather dashing shade of dark blue

Thanks

After getting more dropped UMA calls got onto BT for fault testing.

Between BT & Sky tech there is nothing wrong with either the line or the exchange, ie. no work that they aware of being carried out.

The reason the phone fades in and out of UMA service is purely down to the unstable bandwidth during the day which varies considerably, at it's lowest point down to .20 mb/s download & .10 upload or thereabouts.

My house is the last one before open countryside and therefore at the end of the line with many other houses/connections preceding it, my thoughts are school holidays lots of use during the day?

The question around rain being a problem well this could be connected not to the rain itself but children staying indoors playing online games ect?

https://www.bethere.co.uk/web/beportal/realworldspeed

Would say a BE line (uncontested/shared) or other make any difference or would this be pointless?

Last question about connectivity, is there a large fibre pipe to say the housing estate which is then split into individual house connections or are connections direct to the exchange (highly unlikely I know)

Thanks,

Thanks

The reason the phone fades in and out of UMA service is purely down to the unstable bandwidth during the day which varies considerably, at it's lowest point down to .20 mb/s download & .10 upload or thereabouts.
      This would be the direct opposite to the norm, where noise, (therefore speed), is lower during the daylight hours, gradually increasing in the evening. If your line is properly configured, the change in noise levels should make no difference.

My house is the last one before open countryside and therefore at the end of the line with many other houses/connections preceding it, my thoughts are school holidays lots of use during the day?
      The question around rain being a problem well this could be connected not to the rain itself but children staying indoors playing online games ect?
      It should not make much difference with an LLU connection, where the actual connections to the exchange are limited by the amount of spaces available on the ISPs equipment. Connections to the BT and their rebadged ISPs is different where the amount of users is only limited by the number of phone connections in the exchange. The only interference would be to a wireless connection where there are other networks in your range, but this does not effect the actual bandwidth available from the exchange. You can determine if this is the cause by downloading and using Inssider from the link below.

Would say a BE line (uncontested/shared) or other make any difference or would this be pointless?
      I doubt if it would make much difference. You might find that due to the length of your line BE would not even give you a connection. Have you tried putting your number in the bottom of your linked page to see what they could give you?

Last question about connectivity, is there a large fibre pipe to say the housing estate which is then split into individual house connections or are connections direct to the exchange (highly unlikely I know)
      On most exchanges your metal line will go to a cabinet and from there to the exchange, again in metal. Some lines go direct to the exchange, but these are only from premises which are close to it. BT are slowly upgrading exchanges with what is called Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC), which means they use fibre to connect to a cabinet then metal from there to the premises. This greatly increases the speed available, up to 40 Mbps. Check on Samknows if your exchange is upgraded or due to be. This is the only chance you have of a much better speed.

Maybe you would like to extract what you still need to know from post 23, as some of your queries have already been answered.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Thanks Tom for taking the time to reply in such detail, very helpful -

As I am working from home now i can monitor the problem fairly accurately.

As soon as a call is dropped or the phone switches to SOS calls only (mobile phone) I do a speedtest check having the page already loaded on a separate laptop - this revels the increase in ping times (way over 100) and the drop in download/upload speeds, oddly enough though it doesn't seems to affect page load speeds?

I have checked with BE a while back and they can offer 2.5mb/s on their basic package - the thing is I know most of my neighbours are using Sky as they have similar TV/broadband packages to me hence Sky maybe overloaded at this point?

I'll come back to you Tom on the other points from the earlier post, as you say most if not all have been answered.

BT were not very helpful when testing the line at all, I now have the post code to the local exchange so will drive down there and see what if anything is going on.

Thanks

Just a brief update in case anyone is following this thread for UMA solutions.

Good news is it's working faultless, handing over to UMA within seconds of entering the house - call quality is excellent but you do have to make some changes to achieve this with my type of line - a few pointers below;

1. A router powerful enough to get the signal throughout the house, position by trial and error.

2. Ensure line is free from noise (see above fault finding)

3. Stop running apps which may conflict with the UMA carrier, MSN and Skype are two - (Skype generates a huge amount of unseen traffic before squeezing through the port, avoid)

Btw, got an electronic communication (email to you an me) from BT, yup - they is installing 'Infinity broadband' in my area - waaahoooo!

Thanks

I have just noticed there are 700 views, is anyone else using as UMA phone?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234