Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Best UMA router

This is a discussion on Best UMA router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If so I could connect the (none connected at the moment) one nearest the hall landing and plug the DG834 ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Best UMA router

If so I could connect the (none connected at the moment) one nearest the hall landing and plug the DG834 into that as an extension using internal bell wire?
      First of all forget about using bellwire. If you are going to install extra extensions, use the proper phone wire, CW1308. Bellwire is a thinner gauge and will not perform properly.

I would advise fitting a filtered faceplate, but not the one you link to, it does not have the unfiltered terminals required to install a dedicated ADSL extension. This one would be more suitable - BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version Even if you do not want to install a dedicated ADSL extension now, you may do in the future.

If you fit a filtered faceplate you can then connect up the existing extensions without effecting your ADSL, provided you use the ADSL port on the faceplate. You can plug the RJ11 extension into this and place your router where you want it.

Depending on the layout of your phone extensions it may be possible to make a dedicated ADSL extension of one of your existing extension boxes. This could be done by connecting one of the spare twisted pairs in the existing extension cable to the unfiltered terminals of the faceplate and connecting the other end to a RJ11 socket.

Going straight through a wall is fairly easy using a suitable drill, going along or up a wall, even a hollow one, can be more difficult. Just make sure there are no pipes or wires in the way. Tools are available for the detection of pipes and wires.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Davidz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Thanks for the detailed reply Tom,

I have a few Q's (as you might have guessed) will post later

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      First of all forget about using bellwire. If you are going to install extra extensions, use the proper phone wire, CW1308. Bellwire is a thinner gauge and will not perform properly.

The only reason I mentioned this option is the extensions are already there, just a case of re-purposing one as an ADSL master?

I would advise fitting a filtered faceplate, but not the one you link to, it does not have the unfiltered terminals required to install a dedicated ADSL extension. This one would be more suitable - BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate for NTE5, 6 Way Version Even if you do not want to install a dedicated ADSL extension now, you may do in the future.

So the one I linked to was filtered so any connections off of it would not be considered a master but and extension?

This also confused me a bit as you rec fitting a filtered faceplate but go onto to say unfiltered terminals - I guess this means anything plugged in is auto filtered but the dedicated ADSL master (extension) is not?

If you fit a filtered faceplate you can then connect up the existing extensions without effecting your ADSL, provided you use the ADSL port on the faceplate. You can plug the RJ11 extension into this and place your router where you want it.

Depending on the layout of your phone extensions it may be possible to make a dedicated ADSL extension of one of your existing extension boxes. Yup, this is what I was suggesting above, is it using the existing bell wire? (maybe using the wrong terminology here)

This could be done by connecting one of the spare twisted pairs in the existing extension cable to the unfiltered terminals of the faceplate and connecting the other end to a RJ11 socket. RJ11 socket to plug the modem cable into at the other end?
      Thanks for your help,
      Last edited by Davidz; 14-08-10 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks

This is the wall cabinet outside, good bit of cable there to play with.

If I need high quality Cat5 cable for the ADSL master extension could I not connect one end to the extension cable here and pull it through to the upstairs?

Thanks

I'm sorry, the way you formatted your post 23 I completely missed your comments included in the quote. If you are going to answer like this can you use red or even bold your replies so that they are not missed. We will not worry about that at the moment as you appear to have a basic problem with the way your phone sockets are connected. You seem to have two cables attached to your incoming line, if this is the case, that could be the source of your problems. You should only have one cable connected and this should feed your Master socket. Can you say if both these cables are connected and if so where they go?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Sorry about that, colour navy wasn't too good, have changed to blue.

Yup, the white cable in the foreground looks to be connected to the bedroom extension or possibly the hallway extension, the smaller cable is connected to the BT master socket in the living room.

Thanks

That is incorrect wiring, I doubt if a BT engineer would do that unless he was a real lazy bee. To get things sorted out properly you will have to cut off the wire that is not going to your Master socket. As there are spare wires you will be able to reconnect the sockets using the same cables. Cut off the wires to your extensions and try your stats again.

I have to go out now and will not be back till tomorrow am, so don't think I have deserted you when you don't get another reply tonight.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Cheers for that Tom,

I thought I would post a pic of the wires involved, is it possible one is for my neighbours line?

Thanks

If it is coming out of the grey duct, it probably is, if it is not, it could be your electricity supply cable.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Chug a Bug is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Yes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: none
      Thanks

The thick black one looks suspiciously like a mains supply cable to me...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast