Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Best UMA router

This is a discussion on Best UMA router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I made sure those uncovered wires we not touching each other and re-ran the stats System Up Time 26:24:14 Port ...

Davidz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shenley Church End
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Everyday Lite
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Best UMA router

I made sure those uncovered wires we not touching each other and re-ran the stats

System Up Time 26:24:14
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 4182 5128 0 1444 3988 00:18:54
      LAN 100M/Full 8523 2136 0 45 6 26:24:10
      WLAN 11M 117036 92133 0 1598 346 19:21:04

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 1856 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 21.5 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 9 db

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Went the whole hog (where did that expression come from) anyway, too the socket to bits - it looks like the loose wires go to an unconnected extension but may have been touching inside.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I switched back to 'b & g' mode and both upload/download dropped a bit,
      Use 'g only' if it is available as 'b & g' sends out the signal in 11 and 54mbps, which wastes resources. As you are not using the Sky router I am not sure if you will have this setting. These settings apply to wireless only and have nothing to do with the internet speed.

It's strange this figure DownStream Connection Speed 1856 kbps doesnt change
      It is capped at that speed and will not change until you get Sky to raise the cap.

Just to add, I also tried this link a while back but comes back with an error 'is this the correct number'
      This is the official BT tester and will only work with BT connections, it will not work with Sky LLU.

it looks like the loose wires go to an unconnected extension but may have been touching inside
      This is the main connection to your phone line. It is quite common to have spare wires. As long as there are no bare parts touching the terminals they will do no harm. Make sure the screws are tight nad making good contact with the wires.

Your last stats show you could possibly get another 1 or 2 Mb. With the router in this position, phone Sky and ask them to manually configure your line as you believe you can get more speed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

The plot thickens, the game commences - just got off the blower to Sky tech help, friendly chap who tested the line for me (twice).

Apparently my line will only support 1.5mb/s as too far from the exchange at 1.9miles - I explained that I was already getting more than this which he said was a good result, okkkkkkkkaaay so how about I upgrade my package then?

Nope, won't make any difference as none of the Sky packages are capped for speed and certainly not at 2mb/s?

"In fact Sir you are on a list to be changed over to broad band everyday lite which is limited to 2gig monthly download but no speed cap, your monthly cost will drop to 5"

FLOL, confused you will be...

Thanks

This one,

Broadband Everyday Lite
      Great for daily browsing & online shopping.
      Up to 20Mb download speeds
      2GB monthly usage allowance
      Up to 1.3Mb upload speeds
      Sky Wireless Router (worth 50)
      24/7 technical support
      Free 3 month trial of McAfee Internet Security Suite

5 a month
      (Sky TV subscription required)
      Add to Basket

Thanks

Rang Sky back and they have transferred me over to the Lite package above, cool half price!

I asked the same question again but to a non techie about the speeds, he said none of the packages are capped apart from downloads, mines 2GB which is way in excess of my needs -

Can any of you tech's work out a way for me to test my line to confirm it's been capped, then i can go back to them with some proof.

TIA

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

You're capped at 1856/608 adsl2plus. As a sky employee, I can confirm you that. May be lucky to push out around 3072/768 with those stats.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      You're capped at 1856/608 adsl2plus. As a sky employee, I can confirm you that. May be lucky to push out around 3072/768 with those stats.
      Well I thought I would give it another shot and rang the tech bods, got hold of a fella that knew his stuff - repeated your post and he basically switched me over to ADSL1 and removed a tool (or reset)

Upshot is,
      System Up Time 34:43:08
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1991 2825 0 1760 7943 00:06:37
      LAN 100M/Full 9715 2136 0 37 4 34:43:04
      WLAN 54M 249114 143595 0 23101 1350 04:00:40

Old stats
      Connection Speed 1856 kbps 606 kbps
      Line Attenuation 63 db 21.5 db
      Noise Margin 14 db 9 db

Connection Speed 3072 kbps 608 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61 db 15.5 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 9 db

Thanks all for your help,

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

What a guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      What a guess.

Sir, you are top banana

One last question if I may to all, the main objective here was to get my Orange phone working reliably on the UMA (WiFi) setup, which it it is.

However using the inssider scanning software I don't think the router is best placed to give overall best performance as it's located near the master socket bottom left of house next to neighbours kitchen (microwave) and other telephony DECT phones, the plan is to put it in the hallway maybe at the top of the stairs with a bit of trial and error for best positioning.

Question is what is the best way to get the router connected with minimum loss on the line.

First off I have ordered one of these just to experiment with best location;

Belkin CC3011AED25 7.6m High Speed RJ11 to RJ11 Internet Modem Cable

One option suggested to other members was to use the Home plugs, question is how reliable are these and do they generate more noise on the line or interference with the wireless side of things, ie. communicating with my cell phone on UMA?

Second option was to utilise the existing phone sockets dotted all around the house, in one of the previous photos you can see a wire not connected in the master socket - perhaps this connects all the extension around the house?

If so I could connect the (none connected at the moment) one nearest the hall landing and plug the DG834 into that as an extension using internal bell wire?

The other option here and these are my thoughts would be to make the master socket an extension but solder the two wires direct to the hall landing extension to make that the master? does that make sense?? - any benefit to doing this or am I just complicating the heck out of everything?

Third option is to use this modified faceplate;

BT ADSL Adaptor Front Plate for NTE5

It replaces the standard faceplate on "NTE5" style master telephone line boxes, and gives you separate Voice and ADSL access sockets. It also filters all your extensions on the line so that you can keep all your standard telephone equipment plugged in as normal. The job it does is the same as a microfilter, except that this negates the need for multiple dangly microfilters at all the phone points in your house/office, and also happens to be the best available quality of filtering/splitting.

Clarity - UK ADSL BT Linebox Adaptor Faceplate

with this kit

BT Engineer's ADSL Extension Kit (15m/30m)

Genuine BT Engineer's ADSL extension kit using either 15m or 30m of high quality Category 5e grade twisted-pair cable with an RJ45 plug fitted to one end (to provide for simple plugging into the RJ45 ADSL socket on the BT NTE5 ADSL Master adaptors, although by all means cut it off and hardwire the cable neatly instead...), and an ADSL wall socket for the room where you want your ADSL access point.

Clarity*::*ADSL*Extensions...

How easy is it to drive the cable through the hollow wall, house is five years old so I would imagine egg box type cavity?

Thanks,

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast