Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sky D-Link Router?

This is a discussion on Sky D-Link Router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; open internet explorer type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar username: admin password: sky go to set up change the channel ...

keshav.sharma is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Sky D-Link Router?

open internet explorer
      type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar
      username: admin
      password: sky
      go to set up
      change the channel
      this will definetly help

2. Advertisement
      Tal71 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

I have the new D-Link and I find it gives me a better wireless range than my Netgear DG834GT that I used to use with my previous ISP. I was surprised at this because the Netgear has an external antenna, whereas Sky's D-Link has a internal antenna.

There's a piece of Software called inSSIDer. Basically it shows what channels neighbouring wireless routers are using, and from there you can select a channel that is not in use in your vicinity.

In my neighbourhood most of the wireless router were on channel 8 I think, so I put mine on channel 13, just so that there would be no way that they would interfere or imped the wireless range.

Another thing that affects wireless range is the foil lined insulating boards that are in the hollow walls of newer properties.

Here's the link for inSSIDer:
      http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider
      Last edited by Tal71; 30-09-10 at 08:53 PM.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If you're on vista (assume it also works on 7), open command prompt and type 'netsh wlan show all' and it'll show all the surrounding networks, with their channel information etc.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      If you're on vista (assume it also works on 7), open command prompt and type 'netsh wlan show all' and it'll show all the surrounding networks, with their channel information etc.
      This also works on Win 7, but it gives realms of information which may be daunting to a new user. For Win 7 the best application is InSSider, available from the link in Post 8, above or the link below.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

hollah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i am an IT engineer and have numerous routers around.

my story is that i have just signed upto sky and have one of the new D-link routers also, and upon installing i noticed an awful lot of drops in wireless connection - not necessarily disconnecting but just slow in responding back to the workstations being used.

i only have 1 laptop and my iphone connected, so i have tried a few things and it appears that there may be a fault with these routers or just intermittent routers... WPA2 = really really bad response back from router.
      WEP= slightly increased the rate that the packets are returned but still not ideal.
      Security off = as above with WEP.

so then i decided to check my old sky router - netgear dg934 - this works brilliantly, but i can only sync at around 90kb... (shocking, but wireless seems ok)

ok so now for my further testing i decided that ideally i wanted to have my powerline network back up and running in our new house so i pulled out my Zyxel P660HWP-D1, turned off wireless on the D-Link and used sky just as the connection (modem) and this seems to have worked. (although i often sync around 1.3 - 2.0mbps with setup like this it appears that i have no loss or interruption)

going forward - well i could perservere with how i now have it setup but as an IT engineer i know that the D-Link 2640s are good routers generally - so it must be an issue with the "SKY FIRMWARE"
      upon testing the firmware to see if i could extract any information i somehow managed to upgrade my router from SKY_1.10 to SKY_1.11.

great, so i thought i would start testing again, disabled all my zyxel equipment and enabled the D-link as a full router, wifi, dhcp, DSL - testing the wifi under different options this appears to still be a fault as it has not cured it in any way.

lets hope we can get this router cracked so we can at least try some official firmware from dlink on it to see if its sky's fault or not.....

back to the zyxel method for me for now im afraid....ah well worth a try...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12