Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.


    Advertisement

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 10 of 14

    Sky Routers

    This is a discussion on Sky Routers within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've just been connected to Sky Broadband Unlimited and am using the supplied Sky Sagem F@ST 2504 Router. It seems ...

    1. #1
      soneman's Avatar
      soneman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Posts
      18
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Using multiple Sky Routers

      I've just been connected to Sky Broadband Unlimited and am using the supplied Sky Sagem F@ST 2504 Router.

      It seems to be running okay at the moment but I noted from the Terms & Conditions that I'm not allowed to use my own Router.

      What if I bought a Sky Netgear DG834GT Router from eBay which has the Sky firmware running on it and connected it up to my phone line. Will it establish a connection straight out of the box? Is this also against the Terms & Conditions?

      I'm only asking because I don't seem to have a second Router which I can use as a backup just in case the Sky supplied Sagem Router dies. Ideally I don't want any downtime if this were to ever happen and I'd prefer to just swap Routers and continue as before.
      Last edited by soneman; 29-07-10 at 09:05 PM.


    2. Advertisement
    3. #2
      IWasNotTheEnemy's Avatar
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Join Date
      Apr 2007
      Location
      London
      Posts
      9,374
      Thanks
      3
      Thanked 122 Times in 121 Posts

      Re: Sky Routers

      You can use any Sky router on any Sky connection so long as the router's login details aren't suspended...having said that, lots of people use their own and keep the Sky one as a spare (but forfeit the right to complain if Sky cut the off, of course)
      -------------------------------------------



      Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

    4. #3
      soneman's Avatar
      soneman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Posts
      18
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Routers

      Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      You can use any Sky router on any Sky connection so long as the router's login details aren't suspended
      What do you mean by ďthe router's login details are not suspendedĒ?

      Do you mean that any second hand Sky Router wonít work out of the box and that I need to extract the username and password from my Sky supplied Sagem Router and insert the username and password into the second hand Sky Router before it will establish a connection?

      Is it against the Terms & Conditions to buy a second hand Sky Router and use it instead of the Sky supplied Router?

      I donít want to use my own non-Sky Router and risk getting cut off so Iíd prefer to find an alternative solution such as using a second hand Sky Router.

    5. #4
      deadman1984's Avatar
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Join Date
      Sep 2009
      Location
      newcastle upon tyne uk
      Posts
      3,235
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts

      Re: Sky Routers

      wont cut you off others have changed the router and used there own and havent been disconnected i think sky are trying to scare people buy saying it

    6. #5
      DesertRaven's Avatar
      DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Join Date
      Nov 2009
      Location
      Reading, UK
      Posts
      102
      Thanks
      1
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

      Re: Sky Routers

      Quote Originally Posted by soneman View Post
      What do you mean by ďthe router's login details are not suspendedĒ?

      Do you mean that any second hand Sky Router wonít work out of the box and that I need to extract the username and password from my Sky supplied Sagem Router and insert the username and password into the second hand Sky Router before it will establish a connection?

      Is it against the Terms & Conditions to buy a second hand Sky Router and use it instead of the Sky supplied Router?

      I donít want to use my own non-Sky Router and risk getting cut off so Iíd prefer to find an alternative solution such as using a second hand Sky Router.
      Each Sky supplied router has a unique username and password hidden within its firmware, and in theory, this prevents you from using your own router because you donít know what it is (however in practice these details can be extracted).

      Sky makes a note of the routers username/password against your account, so if you sell your router on eBay someone else will be using those login details, not usually a problem(?) as they track your Internet usage on your line.

      If say you leave Sky they might lockout that routers unique username/password rendering a router using those details unable to connect to Sky.

    7. #6
      soneman's Avatar
      soneman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Posts
      18
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Routers

      Quote Originally Posted by DesertRaven View Post
      Each Sky supplied router has a unique username and password hidden within its firmware, and in theory, this prevents you from using your own router because you donít know what it is (however in practice these details can be extracted).

      Sky makes a note of the routers username/password against your account, so if you sell your router on eBay someone else will be using those login details, not usually a problem(?) as they track your Internet usage on your line.

      If say you leave Sky they might lockout that routers unique username/password rendering a router using those details unable to connect to Sky.
      So you're saying that to ensure that I'm able to connect with 2 different Routers I have to extract the username and password from my Sky supplied Sagem Router? Is that correct? Regardless of whether I decided to use a second hand Sky Router running the Sky firmware?

      If so, then I might just think about using my non-Sky Router as a backup. Either that or I could still buy a second hand Sky Router from eBay which has been unlocked and use that as a backup. Is using an unlocked Sky Router against the Terms & Conditions?

      Because I know I won't be allowed to enter my own username and password into a second hand Sky Router if it's running the Sky firmware so that's why Iím considering one of the options above. I was hoping that I could just get a hold of a second Sky Router and just literally plug and play. It looks like that's not possible.

    8. #7
      User05's Avatar
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Posts
      3,030
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 171 Times in 164 Posts

      Re: Sky Routers

      As IWNTE stated, any sky router will work on any sky connection. If you buy a sky router from ebay, then it will work unless it has been suspended on sky's end i.e. if the individual selling the router had any billing/abuse issues then the mac address would be suspended and unable to obtain an IP.

    9. #8
      soneman's Avatar
      soneman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Posts
      18
      Thanks
      2
      Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

      Re: Sky Routers

      Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      As IWNTE stated, any sky router will work on any sky connection. If you buy a sky router from ebay, then it will work unless it has been suspended on sky's end i.e. if the individual selling the router had any billing/abuse issues then the mac address would be suspended and unable to obtain an IP.
      But do you think that it's worth buying a Sky Router from eBay and just hope that whichever Sky Router I've bought is not blocked by Sky?

      And is it against the Terms & Conditions to do this? Have other Sky Broadband customers done this before?

    10. #9
      jenny12386's Avatar
      jenny12386 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Posts
      15
      Thanks
      0
      Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

      Re: Sky Routers

      It is advised you use a sky router as if your connection goes, tech have to do the trouble shooting with a sky router. There are just too many different router on the market to keep track of them all. It is possible to use a 3rd party router, and you're not going to get cut off, but the big mistake lots of people make is to get rid of their sky router, then when the internet goes down, they have to pay £28 just to get a router to do the trouble shooting.

    11. #10
      Isitme's Avatar
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Join Date
      Dec 2006
      Location
      Central Scotland
      Posts
      34,131
      Thanks
      64
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

      Re: Sky Routers

      But do you think that it's worth buying a Sky Router from eBay and just hope that whichever Sky Router I've bought is not blocked by Sky?
      I have bought 4 so far, 2 Sagems and V1 and V2 Netgears. All have connected to Sky before I flashed them and sold them on.

      TomD


      Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.


      Useful Utilites

      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

      Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.





     

     
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    SkyUser - Copyright © 2006-2017. SatDish and NewsreadeR | SkyUser is in no way affiliated with Sky Broadband / BSkyB
    RIPA NOTICE: NO CONSENT IS GIVEN FOR INTERCEPTION OF PAGE TRANSMISSION