Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router Test

This is a discussion on Router Test within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi When i switch on my router to connect to the internet, it creates a loud hissing noise through my ...

JimL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ashington Northumberland
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: SkyHD box
      Thanks

Router Test

Hi

When i switch on my router to connect to the internet, it creates a loud hissing noise through my landline.There is no noise wmen the router is swithed off. I am connectedinto a NTE 2005 Faceplate-no extensions.

I have tested the faceplate through another line and there is no noise My land line was replaced about 6 months ago.

L suspect my router is causing the fault. My daugter has offered to loan me her router (same package on sky) to test for the fault.

Will it be just a case of swapping leads and switching on, to test the router. I use an ethernet connection-not wireless.

Cheers Jim.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router Test

Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
      Will it be just a case of swapping leads and switching on, to test the router. I use an ethernet connection-not wireless.
      Yup.

You'll find it's likely either the dsl cable or the router at fault. If you still have noise on the landline with another router and dsl cable connected, then the only other thing you can rule out is a faulty faceplate by trying the cpe at the test socket. If still no cigar, then get onto sky as it's a line fault.