Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

3rd Party Router, 3rd Party email issues

This is a discussion on 3rd Party Router, 3rd Party email issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just joined skybroadband - not happy chappy! Previous config was BT landline, Pipex Broadband, own NetgearDG834N router - supporting home ...

neilsl is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

3rd Party Router, 3rd Party email issues

Just joined skybroadband - not happy chappy!

Previous config was BT landline, Pipex Broadband, own NetgearDG834N router - supporting home network desktop, laptops and outlook email to my own hosted web/email server - ADSL userid/password provided by ISP - could use Outlook to send/receive to my email account which is registered with every man and his dog

New set-up Sky voice/broadband network, sagem router etc. Internet ok, unable to do emails as Outlook asks for a Server password.

Want to use own router, got the advice from this forum re userid/password - thanks! - except when added to my own router and all other settings it doesn't work - EDIT: BIG WARNING - Noticed on another thread the difference between ADSL MAC ID and LAN Mac ID - I had done a muppet and had used the ADSL because on first logon to admin/sky it looked the same. - last char different - retried with LAN, got different pwd and Bingo - what a muppet but a lesson to other newbies!

Chaps Authentication Failure - points to userid/pwd failure. I notice on LAN port my router has different MAC than ADSL and the dynamic IP, Gateway IP, DNS on ADSL all blank for my router - not for SAGEM

I have typed in the mac/network info to the password generator in lower/uppercase with without colons and it always generates the same userid/password and I have typed them in carefully many times - can anyone help further - I haven't found more detail than the password generator stuff?
      Last edited by neilsl; 16-07-10 at 10:03 PM.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 3rd Party Router, 3rd Party email issues

You realise that changing your ISP from pipex means you will no longer be able to use your pipex email, pipex have cancelled it as you are no longer paying them. You can set up your new SKY mail with outlook - there are plenty of help pages on sky.com giving clear instructions on how to do this.
      You have obviously generated the userid/password incorrectly if your new router wont authenticate, I suggest you use the generator site again and ensure you use the LAN Mac address from the sagem router and not the ADSL one.
      I dont know why your obsessed with using a DG834N - they are notoriously bad routers period and certainly no better than the sagem sky supply.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

moleman is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hadleigh EAHAE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: DG834GT + TL-WR702N
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

As you have 2 problems (outlook not working and unable to use own router) It may be better to have a separate thread for each as it may get confusing otherwise.

As you have your own email host there should have been no need to make any changes to your outlook configuration unless you were using your ISPs SMTP server to send.

Did you make any changes to outlook?

@simonmpoulton

I would think he wants to use his own "N" router as the wirless capabilities are vastly superior to the Sagem!
      Last edited by moleman; 15-07-10 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Added note to Simon

Exchange:
      Thanks

Moleman - thanks for the reply

"As you have your own email host there should have been no need to make any changes to your outlook configuration unless you were using your ISPs SMTP server to send.

Did you make any changes to outlook?" - No conifg change to outlook as I'm using my old hosts pop/SMTP servers as you infer I don't need to - except oulook now pops up a dialog for the Servers password (I'm presuming part of sky's network)

@simonmpoulton - thanks for the not so helpful reply - I have no affinity for the router except its the centre of my home network and its wireless capabilities are better than the sagem. The issue is that sky's router doesn't allow 3rd party hosted email - my old config was ok bt line independent ISP broadband - I don't know what else is in the sky router firmware or is particular to the sky voice/broadband network

I am not using my old ISPs email - I never did, I won't use the sky one either - Mine is a hosted one that goes with my company's website that my entire world uses to send official and non-official e.g. HMRC, Banks, Utilities, Friends etc

I have a MEng in Electronics so I'm pretty sure I know how to type in a userid and password and configure a router - I did so on about a dozen occasions last night!

sbarkeri is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MYSHI
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have used both the Netgear DG834GT and the Sagem F@ST, both of which allow me to access my workplace Microsoft Exchange from Outlook, and also my website's IMAP server. Unless you are pointing Outlook to either the Sky POP/SMTP server the UserID/Password you say Outlook is asking for has nothing to do with Sky.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks I'll contact Netscan to see if they have changed my pop/smtp config - I haven't had broadband since 23/6 so not sure if they'd emailed a change

sbarkeri - thanks for lead Netscan host had changed requirement for full usernane i.e. abc@xyz.com rather than abc - this now works - just need to delve deeper into using own router
      Last edited by neilsl; 16-07-10 at 09:42 AM.