Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wireless works but not wired

This is a discussion on Wireless works but not wired within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi My first post so apologies if I've gone wrong anywhere. I was changing my Dad's security suite on his ...

craighw is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Wireless works but not wired

Hi

My first post so apologies if I've gone wrong anywhere.

I was changing my Dad's security suite on his computer and removed the network cable from its port. Since then when I've tried to reconnect to the router (Netgear DG834GT) it isn't recognised. When you try to connect to a network, you either have the option of a PPPoE connection or two dial-ups.

I've done a bit of research and I think I understand that the router should connect by PPPoA but I just can't find that option. I've uninstalled the new security suite; uninstalled and reinstalled drivers; tried the reset button on router; a different cable and a different computer. Each time the messge comes up that the cable is not connected or the router can't be found! It's there in device manager, working properly but network sharing centre doesn't believe me that's there.

However, I can use the router perfectly wirelessly (two computers - one XP and one Windows 7) and have no issues at all.

Am I missing something obvious? I'm reasonably competent but this has me stumped. I don't want to be spending hours and cash on phoning Sky. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

Craig

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Wireless works but not wired

Have you tried different ports in the router? Do the port lights come on? Does the light on the ethernet connection on the PC light up? Plug one end of an ethernet cable into a port on the router and the other end into another port. Both port lights should come on, showing that the switch is working. If they don't the router is faulty.

You should not be seeing the router in the Device Manager, only the Network adapters.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

With Windows 7 (possibly vista too) and upnp on you can usually see the router in device manager. Usually with a "windows couldnt find drivers" message.
      You havent got any silly settings on the router blocking the computer have you? What exactly does the network and sharing center say?

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi again.

Checked the router by plugging cable into two ports. Lights work on both ports. Also an orange light on PC where cable plugged.

Checked Device Manager again and under Network Adapters it lists Broadcom router which it says is working properly. Driver version is 4.49.00 (according to my Dad).

In Network and Sharing Centre says that not connected to a network and has the picture of a computer and the world connected by a line with a cross through it - no router in the middle as there was before (or there is when wirelessly connected with laptop).

Still confused. As I said before, the router works perfectly with laptop wirelessly but not wired (so not just PC not connecting). Also I didn't change any settings so don't think I have blocked the PC from the router.

Silly question. When you reset the router should you have to enter your details again? After pressing the reset button I've not had to. Does that mean I haven't really reset it?

Thanks again,

Craig

Thanks

Sounds like the network adapter might be disabled or you have a network bridge in there. Go into the network connections folder (Manage Network Connections or Change Adapter Settings) and check that your network connection is enabled and you dont have a network bridge.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi

Taken a couple of days to check but latest developments are that I managed to connect to the router using a cable to a laptop. Suggests that there is a problem with the PC - so can't really blame Sky or their router.

There doesn't appear to be a network bridge. Also, under connections the LAN is enabled through a Broadcom 440x 10/100 ... (which I now assume is the onboard network port).

However, there is a broadband connection section which is 'disconnected' and uses 'WAN miniport PPPoE' which seems wrong / to be the problem. Should I try a PCI network card I've got? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks once more for your time and patience - a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!

Craig

Thanks

The wan miniport shouldnt be there, delete it. The broadcom lan, does it say connected or network cable unplugged?
      Is the light for the respective port on the router on? Is the light on the port in the pc on?
      If all fails then your port could be faulty so it might be worth checking with a PCI card.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Check the following also:

start > all programs > accessories > right click 'command prompt' and run as administrator

type:

ping 127.0.0.1 (reply with the packets sent, received and lost)
      ping 192.168.0.1 (reply with the packets sent, received and lost)
      ipconfig (reply with the ipv4 address, subnet mask and default gateway - if any are listed)

Exchange:
      Thanks

Hi again.

ping 127.0.0.1 (4 sent, 4 received and 0 lost)

ping 192.168.0.1 (4 sent, 0 received and 4 lost)

transmit failed error code 1231

ipconfig (none listed)

The broadcom says neither 'connected' nor 'cable unplugged' but 'enabled'. Couldn't find an option to connect to LAN.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks again.

Craig

Thanks

Just a thought, but if you have a gigabyte motherboard the ethernet port is probably goosed - quite a common problem for gigabyte's. As I said before try it with a PCI network card and see if it works, if so then the port is broken,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast