Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Sagem router - choice between speed and stability

This is a discussion on Sagem router - choice between speed and stability within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, just found this forum and already found some useful info. Hope that someone can help me please. I have ...

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Sagem router - choice between speed and stability

Hi, just found this forum and already found some useful info. Hope that someone can help me please. I have been with Sky BB just over a month since I moved in to my new house. The master socket is in the study at the front of the house and this is where I initially put my Sagem router as supplied by Sky.

After the initial 10 days I was getting a speed of 10-11Mb as measured on the router which was great and connection was fairly solid. But now if I sit in the lounge at the back of the house (just the downstairs loo between the 2 rooms) the signal keeps dropping. So I have moved the router to the lounge. The connection is now rock steady but the speed has dropped to between 6 and 7Mb.

I'm not living in a palace(!) so I would have thought that it would be reasonable to expect the router to reach as far as the back of the house. I have tried changing channels but no joy. I'm wondering if a different router would help? The router I was using with my old ISP is a Netgear DG834PN which I understand is one that Sky supplies. Can I plug this in and try it?

Any help gratefully received.

2. Advertisement
      simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Sagem router - choice between speed and stability

You can try the piggyback method with your old router or you can extract the sky password (see relevant section of forum) and just use the old one.
      Piggyback method:
      Plug in old router with ethernet cable to your PC only (SKY router should be off)
      Set the following settings on this router:
      IP Address: 192.168.0.2
      DHCP: Off
      Save the settings and reboot the router, now that is done unplug it and hook it up next to your sky router with an ethernet cable running in-between them. You will probably want to disable the wireless on your sky router. If you need to access the other routers config pages now just go to 192.168.0.2 in your web browser.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

Claremac is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01737
      Thanks

Hi Simon
      Thanks for the info, I will try that today. I have been reading a bit more on the forum and found that Sky do not like you to use a non-Sky router with threats of disconnection etc. I take it that the piggyback route would mean that the Netgear would show up as being the router in use as far as Sky is concerned?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I would not advise using 192.168.0.2 as the address for the second router, unless you reserve this address you are likely to get IP conflicts. It can be done but is a bit more complicated. To avoid complications give it 192.168.0.254.

The second router will not be seen by Sky when piggy-backed to the Sky router, as you are really using it as a switch, not a modem.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I can tell you with certainty it doesnt cause any conflicts in my setup
      The routers are intelligent they can see a statically assigned device taking the address and dont hand out the address through dhcp.
      As far as sky banning I dont think anyone has been banned to date for using a different router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The routers are intelligent they can see a statically assigned device taking the address and dont hand out the address through dhcp.
      Unless the address is reserved in the Sky router it will be handed out to the first device to connect to it. Switch off your second router and reboot your PC. Your PC will be given the 192.168.0.2 address (unless it has a fixed IP) Now switch on your second router and you will have an IP conflict.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Unless the address is reserved in the Sky router it will be handed out to the first device to connect to it. Switch off your second router and reboot your PC. Your PC will be given the 192.168.0.2 address (unless it has a fixed IP) Now switch on your second router and you will have an IP conflict.
      That's true but I never switch off the routers

AndyJG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWSHAR (South Harrow)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Alternatively you could improve your internal wiring,possibly giving a dedicted ADSL feed to the router in the back room,and get the same speed or possibly more than you currently get in the front room master socket.
      Then you don't have to have two routers running all the time if you piggyback or worry about wireless problems -- just use an ethernet cable direct.

Andy