Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

New Sky Router + D'Link Router + Issues

This is a discussion on New Sky Router + D'Link Router + Issues within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Morning, So I been using sky for the last 3 odd years primarily for broadband, recently been having some issues ...

DamoVOTF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

New Sky Router + D'Link Router + Issues

Morning,

So I been using sky for the last 3 odd years primarily for broadband, recently been having some issues with some members of my house hogging the bandwidth a bit.

Im on Sky Unlimited with a 2.5 year old Netgear V1 DG834GT, its been fine if a little intermitten at times. We have 4 computers in the house all using the internet, 1 is primarily gaming, next two are simply web sites, but the 4th is a gamer and heavy downloader / internal network user.

All computers are connected by homeplugs, which are 200mbit variety.

So recently the internal network has been getting murdered by the 4th user downloading lots of stuff and also transfering large files across the network. So I went and bought a D-Link DIR -855 Xtreme N Dual Band Router. Hoping that I could could use the QoS service to get some control over the issues.

So I sat down last night and did the following: (following this guide mainly)

Add a second Router to your LAN - Computing.Net

- Confirmed the netgear was on 196.168.0.1
      - Changed DHCP scope to 196.168.0.100 to 196.168.0.199
      - SM set to 255.255.255.0

- Set the new D-Link router to IP 196.168.0.2
      - turned off the DHCP on D-Link router
      - Set the default gateway to 196.168.0.1

I was hoping this would set up the D-Lnk router with the 196.168.0.2 IP and let it know it would need to point to 196.168.0.1. But the D-Link router wouldnt save the configuration as it kept giving the following message:

Unable to set LAN on the same Subnet as WAN

Now Im not a network expert at all but I am computer savy. But for the life of me I couldnt figure out how to fix the issue. So this is my first question anyone know how to fix this?

The second problem then came about because I removed the new Router and just restored the changes I had made to DHCP scope on the netgear. I went back to my gaming computer and found that I couldnt see the network.

After messing for a bit the connection came back, I couldnt get an IP address for my computer on the wired network using the homeplugs. But the service had become extremely intermittent. My Iphone didnt have any problems with wireless access.

I used a pin and reset the router to factory settings, no help. The network kept connecting and then disconnecting for variable periods of time. Anywhere connected for 10 mins to disconnected for 30, connect for 1 min disconnect. I gave up after 2 hrs and rang Sky.

They blamed the router and after some wrangling they agreed to send a new router for 30 (a bit rich but hey). They refused to tell which one I would be getting, any ideas?

Anyone got any ideas what would cause such strange disconnects (has never happened before), I did unplug a lot of electrical pieces to try and rule out interference in the home plugs but nothing new has been installed recently.

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: New Sky Router + D'Link Router + Issues

Would it not have been easier to use the 1 router and be done of the Sky one?

Having said that, I don't know how to sort it. If I were there in person I'd probably work it out but over a forum I've no idea!!
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

simonmpoulton is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Chester Central
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

First thing is first you are going about it all wrong, if you want to use the D-Link's QoS system then you HAVE to use the d-link as a router not as a switch/wireless AP. This is what you appear to be doing at present. The way to do this is:
      On The Netgear Set The Following:
      IP Address of Router = 192.168.1.1
      DHCP Scope = 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.2
      DMZ IP Address = 192.168.1.2
      Wireless OFF

On The D-Link Set The Following:
      IP Address = 192.168.0.1
      DHCP On and DHCP Scope at default
      Internet Connection Type = Dynamic IP (DHCP)

Then Take an ethernet cable, plug one end into Port "1" on the netgear and the other end into the "WAN" port on the d-link. It should then work ok.

Pace SKY HD With Seagate Pipeline HD 2TB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to simonmpoulton For This Useful Post:

chri1143 (26-11-10)

DamoVOTF is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Excellent thanks very much I will try that tonight.

As I said Networking noob here.

Oh and in answer to first question, the new router doesnt have the adsl modem required.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Gathered than much once I Google'd the router spec
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

edetc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Melrosegate
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

hi this is my first post on here. I happen to be in a similar situation i joined sky in august and they sent me their modem/router made by d-link i was with talktalk and used their modem/router as a modem connected up to my d-link dir-655 router however unlike the talktalk modem where i just connected them by ethernet and they worked fine however the sky one wont send internet to my separate router. can anyone help me