Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Router troubles possibly.

This is a discussion on Router troubles possibly. within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello everyone, i'm back again for round two with more knowledge this time. The title says possibly because i'm not ...

Jordano is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Sky TV:

Router troubles possibly.

Hello everyone, i'm back again for round two with more knowledge this time.

The title says possibly because i'm not really sure what's causing it but i'm leaning towards router. Basically since we've had Sky internet there's been lots of loss of connection, not the router resetting or anything (though it does rarely) but data just being lost in transmission I think. Everynow and then I set up a constant ping to to see what it's like and sometimes it gets ridiculous like every one in five pings timing out and i'm fairly positive it's not the bbc as my entire internet dips at roughly the same time as these ping failings. Also when straining the connection such as downloading a large file or streaming etc it starts to lose data then too.

I've posted in here before but to no avail (but not for a lack of help/trying!) and still can't figure it. Sky says our line is fine and nothing is wrong with it, but we're also on our second router now with the same problems as the first. I've turned UPnP off, plugged it into the test socket, tried a few different microfilters and yet nothing so here I am again wondering if anyone has any new knowledge to pass on

Also another thing, my downstream NM is usually between 5.8 and 6.3 but sometimes randomly jumps to 10.5 or so, which of these is the best?

Cheers all!

edit: also forgot to mention there is usually between 2 - 6 devices (pc's, ipods, gaming consoles) connected to the router at any time, could this affect it?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Central Scotland
      Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,586 Posts

Re: Router troubles possibly.

Did you find out if you were definitely on Connect? If you are, there is not much you can do except leave and find another ISP as you have already been advised.

If you are not on Connect, post your stats, from the normal position and from the Test socket.
      How to get your router statistics
      How to test your ADSL in the Master Socket

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.