Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Changed security to WEP for DS, changed back to WPA but laptop won't connect!

This is a discussion on Changed security to WEP for DS, changed back to WPA but laptop won't connect! within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, My son wanted to get online to play his DS, so I changed my wireless security to WEP ...

aquarian3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question Changed security to WEP for DS, changed back to WPA but laptop won't connect!

Hi all,

My son wanted to get online to play his DS, so I changed my wireless security to WEP using a WEP key. All was fine, he could play his DS and I can connect my main PC to the internet as I still use a cable.

When he'd finished playing I changed my router security settings back to how it was - WPA with the password/Network Key given to me by Sky (that's on the back of the router), now this key is already in my Iphone and laptop, I made no changes to either while it was on 'WEP', I just used my main PC.

But now my Iphone 3G and laptop (running Windows 7) tell me they can't connect!

They both say the password is wrong, but it's not, I've not altered either device and my router is back to how it was.

I'm at a loss, I've tried changing the SSID, all that did was knock my main PC out so I won't be doing that again.

I've tried resetting the network settings in my Iphone and tried various things with my laptop, but clearly it's a wireless router thing coz I didn't change anything other than the router.

I would be REALLY grateful if someone could take a look at what has gone wrong, I'm happy to copy and paste my router stats.

Oh and after putting my wireless security settings back to WPA I turned the router off and after 20 seconds back on again. I see there's a 'reboot' function on the router stats page, would this be better than turning the router off and on again?

I wonder if there's an update to the router? It's a Netgear black DQ model.

Why would it do this? After changing the router back my laptop and phone still won't connect? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thank you in advance

Lisa
      -x-

2. Advertisement
      dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Changed security to WEP for DS, changed back to WPA but laptop won't connect!

On the back of the router hold the RESET in for 15 seconds while router is powered up, this will revert it to Sky default incase somthing else has been changed.

Also you might allready be doing this but when typing the key in ensure
      you do it in CAPS and the Sky WPA key is allways letters no numbers.

aquarian3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Changed security to WEP for DS, changed back to WPA but laptop won't connect!

DSLDude, thank you so much. Doing the reset button was the only thing I hadn't tried!

Stupidly I thought changing my settings back and even turning the router off and on again would make my devices work, I should have known better eh?!

The WPA key was being put in correctly but I appreciate you looking at all avenues

Thanks again, you've been very helpful,

All the best,

Lisa
      -X-

dsldude is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Good to hear all now okey.