Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) with SVBN?

This is a discussion on Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) with SVBN? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; "Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) allows the router to change the speed at which it is synchronised with the exchange equipment, ...

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) with SVBN?

"Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) allows the router to change the speed at which it is synchronised with the exchange equipment, without breaking the current connection. This is currently not implemented by Sky, so altering this setting should have no effect." from the Extras Help page on V1 (CU3.04) Sky Router.
      I'm making a bit of an assumption here; but it looks like 'Seamless Rate Adaptation' has now been implemented as part of the migration to SVBN - my connection speed changes slightly during the day however the 'up-time doesn't reset' (which would have meant a resync).

My config:
      V1.03.87 (CU3.04)
      SVBN
      ADSL2+

Anyone know if it's SRA for sure?

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Seamless Rate Adaptation (SRA) with SVBN?

Funny you bring this up - I had an SVBN customer come through to me on the phone the other day and noticed his downstream sync rate change without re-syncing which is the first time I'd seen it. I don't think sky have ever confirmed whether SRA is supported, but unless I'm going blind or it was an error on my system then I'm pretty sure it is implemented on the ISAMs on SVBN.

DesertRaven is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Virgin Media
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

It seems to work quite well, I’ve got a long (57 db) but stable line so I push the router hard with a target Noise Margin of only 3.5db (3.5db = 5.3 mbps, 6.9db = 4.2 mbps appx). The router usually syncs about 1.5 db above the margin I set, with SRA if the margin nears my set ‘default’ SRA gently drops the connection speed by a couple of hundred bps which slightly increased the noise margin so keeping things fast and stable. As the noise margin increases it increases the connection speed, result!!

Since being on the ISAM / SVBN I’ve also noticed that ADSL2+ actually out performs G.dmt on my long line, whereas previously on the DSLAM this was reversed (currently people on this forum suggest switching to G.dmt rather than ADSL2+ for long lines, might be worth trying both just to be sure).
      Last edited by DesertRaven; 31-05-10 at 10:30 PM.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The whole adsl2plus performing ok on long lines through ISAMs, I pointed that out a good while ago on one of the posts here as it would seem true for a lot of lines I've seen - then again it is line dependant because I've seen the opposite of this also.