Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Using Sky router as modem only...

This is a discussion on Using Sky router as modem only... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi I am sure this question has been asked many times but I can't seem to find the answer I ...

carcuscrae is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Question Using Sky router as modem only...

Hi

I am sure this question has been asked many times but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for.

Basically I have just joined Sky and until now I have used my Zoom x6 for my ADSL. As this is all set up and works fine I would like to continue to use this for DHCP & Wireless but, due to Sky's T&C's, use their modem (a Sagem) for my ADSL connection.

I presume to do this I need to plug in the ADSL & disable DHCP & Wireless on the Sagem and plug my Zoom into one of the Sagem LAN ports. However, this doesn't seem to work so can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or give me an idiots guide please? My IP range on the Zoom starts at 10.0.0.2 so I assume I need to set the Sagem to 10.0.0.1 ?

Any help would be most appreciated...

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      deadman1984 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ponteland Newcastle Upon Tyne
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity 1
      Router: dreytek vigor 130 modem + archer c7
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD + multi
      Thanks

Re: Using Sky router as modem only...

hum you mean disable all the security settings and goodness knows what else so it only acts as a modem instead im presuming you want another router connected to it like a cable one or somthing im just guessing mind you heehhe

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deadman1984 View Post
      hum you mean disable all the security settings and goodness knows what else so it only acts as a modem instead im presuming you want another router connected to it like a cable one or somthing im just guessing mind you heehhe
      Hi, you are correct I would like to use it only as a modem and use my Zoom X6 as my router.

Thanks

dms05 is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: 0151
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Why not modify your old modem by entering your User Name and Password so it runs the whole operation? See How to obtain your username and password from the sky router and also https://www.cm9.net/skypass/

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dms05 View Post
      Why not modify your old modem by entering your User Name and Password so it runs the whole operation? See How to obtain your username and password from the sky router and also https://www.cm9.net/skypass/
      Hi

Thanks for the response.

This is what I am currently doing but due to Sky's T&C's I want to know how to do what I need whilst using the Sky router just in case they get funny.

Thanks

Mr Spouse is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Somewhere
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Don't think you can do it with the Zoom x6 because it only has an ADSL input port. AFAIK you can only chain routers over Ethernet.

If you do manage it you have to make sure the two 'networks' have different IP address ranges. If the Zoom defaults to 10.0.0.1 (the router gateway address is normally 1 less than the first available IP address) then leaving the Sagem on 192.168.0.1 would be fine. It works like this:
      - Sky router picks up external IP address from Sky network (e.g. 90.x.x.x)
      - Sky router assigns internal IP address to connected devices, in this case the Zoom router (e.g. 192.168.1.2)
      - Zoom shows 192.168.1.2 as the external address (i.e. it can get through to the internet on that address)
      - Zoom assigns internal IP addresses to connected devices in the 10.0.0.x range.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Spouse View Post
      Don't think you can do it with the Zoom x6 because it only has an ADSL input port. AFAIK you can only chain routers over Ethernet.

If you do manage it you have to make sure the two 'networks' have different IP address ranges. If the Zoom defaults to 10.0.0.1 (the router gateway address is normally 1 less than the first available IP address) then leaving the Sagem on 192.168.0.1 would be fine. It works like this:
      - Sky router picks up external IP address from Sky network (e.g. 90.x.x.x)
      - Sky router assigns internal IP address to connected devices, in this case the Zoom router (e.g. 192.168.1.2)
      - Zoom shows 192.168.1.2 as the external address (i.e. it can get through to the internet on that address)
      - Zoom assigns internal IP addresses to connected devices in the 10.0.0.x range.
      I see, thanks for the explanation. So I need a router with a WAN input not an ADSL input is that what you are saying?

Thanks

rcw088 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: burton on trent
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD1TB
      Thanks

In a nutshell the explanation is right, sorry to intrude, but I also have a Zoom VOIP router, you do need a router with an Ethernet capable uplink.

What you then have to do is tell the Sky router to send all the network traffic to your new network via the IP address of the Ethernet uplink port..

This is done with a normal router with either a static route or by the routers exchanging route information. The new router has a default route to the internet via the Ethernet uplink port and the IP address of the Sky router.

I had this set up exactly with a Zoom X4 VOIP router connected over Ethernet to an Apple Time Capsule, which is also a wireless access point / router, but the Time Capsule has an Ethernet uplink.

Internet <Zoom> 192.168.1.x <Time Capsule> 192.168.20.x, easier to explain with a picture than text!...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rcw088 View Post
      In a nutshell the explanation is right, sorry to intrude, but I also have a Zoom VOIP router, you do need a router with an Ethernet capable uplink.

What you then have to do is tell the Sky router to send all the network traffic to your new network via the IP address of the Ethernet uplink port..

This is done with a normal router with either a static route or by the routers exchanging route information. The new router has a default route to the internet via the Ethernet uplink port and the IP address of the Sky router.

I had this set up exactly with a Zoom X4 VOIP router connected over Ethernet to an Apple Time Capsule, which is also a wireless access point / router, but the Time Capsule has an Ethernet uplink.

Internet <Zoom> 192.168.1.x <Time Capsule> 192.168.20.x, easier to explain with a picture than text!...
      So basically what you are telling me is the ZOOM x6 is not capable of doing what I want but if I had another router with an ethernet uplink port I could set it up as desired?

Thanks

rcw088 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: burton on trent
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD1TB
      Thanks

sorry but the straight answer is yes. Mine is an X5V but is still ADSL only on the WAN port.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast