Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sagem Firmware 2.6 upgrade?

This is a discussion on Sagem Firmware 2.6 upgrade? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Another +1 for the address reservation problem. I really wish I had looked at this thread earlier having just spent ...

Dazeon is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lemington
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Sagem Firmware 2.6 upgrade?

Another +1 for the address reservation problem.

I really wish I had looked at this thread earlier having just spent around four hours trying to fix this problem!

After installing Windows Home Server, Code Name “Vail”, and having a general tidy up of my home network, I went into the Sagem to set-up port-forwarding and noticed it had been upgraded.
      I then tried to sort out my address reservation and stumbled across this awful bug, several hours of useless fault finding and I decided to check here, I really wish I had done this earlier, I feel daft now...

I really cannot believe this went unnoticed during internal testing, IMHO it's a pretty major oversight, what did they actually test, if in fact anything at all?

I am sick to death of this Sagem, I can't even use OpenDNS.

I shall be ringing Sky in the morning and expressing my woes.

2. Advertisement
      Brian69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Kings Lynn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Thanks

Re: Sagem Firmware 2.6 upgrade?

Dont get upset. Get your username and pass word out of the router and use one more suited to your needs. I use a Billion and it is miles better than the Sagem ever was. Just hang on to your sagem so you can hook it up should you ever need to contact sky.

SneakyChilli is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hi - Just found this thread after spending about 3 days rebuilding my router config and trying to get my remote cctv setup to work from the web.

I used to be able to use my iPhone to talk to my Lilin cctv server and see what was going on at home whilst I was out. Since the new firmware it doesn't work.

Anybody have v1.9 that I can reapply just to confirm that its the new version that's broken ?

Thanks

Thanks

Thumbs down Re: Sagem Firmware 2.6 upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      Dont get upset. Get your username and pass word out of the router and use one more suited to your needs. I use a Billion and it is miles better than the Sagem ever was. Just hang on to your sagem so you can hook it up should you ever need to contact sky.
      I'm not so much upset as completely dumbfounded, where is the quality control?
      I appreciate that I could swap out the Sagem with another router, however at the moment I don't have the cash to spare, and I don't see why I should when Sky are meant to supply me with a router, and get upset when people use their own.

Has anybody noticed that the router interface is also extremely slow now, nearly to the point of being unusable? One of the plus points for the Sagem was it's speedy interface.

I can't believe this firmware was signed off and rolled out.

Thanks

I do understand, and you are of course quite right in that Sky should supply you/us with a working router as it is against the T&C's to use a 3rd party one.
      I was just trying to see an easy way out of your problem.

If it's any consolation, I connected my Sagem to see if it would get the new firmware, and it connected for a short while then the internet led went out and that has been it, no amount of resetting will restore it to operation, I have not contacted Sky and if they ever contact me I will explain why I am using my router.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brian69 View Post
      I do understand, and you are of course quite right in that Sky should supply you/us with a working router as it is against the T&C's to use a 3rd party one.
      I was just trying to see an easy way out of your problem.

If it's any consolation, I connected my Sagem to see if it would get the new firmware, and it connected for a short while then the internet led went out and that has been it, no amount of resetting will restore it to operation, I have not contacted Sky and if they ever contact me I will explain why I am using my router.
      Fair do mate, I appreciate the suggestion. I actually have another router, a 2Wire BT Business Hub with a custom firmware. However, at the moment it's sitting in the 'tech' cupboard in my lounge on the middle floor of our town house, in bridge mode. It's serving as the wireless AP as the Sagem has a very poor range.
      It would mean moving the 2Wire downstairs which would remove the ethernet ports from my cupboard, where my WHS, Xbox 360, and PS3 are hard wired.
      So basically it's catch 22...

I might see if I can get a Netgear out of Sky, do they allow the use of OpenDNS?

Good point with the Sagem, if it isn't fit for purpose then I guess they can't really complain if people opt to use their own router.

Thanks

No. As far as I know you cannot alter the DNS settings on any Sky router.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,589 Posts

do they allow the use of OpenDNS
      As Brian says, the Sky firmware locks you out of the DNS settings. You can do it on the Ver.1 routers by using CU firmware, but with the Ver. 2s you can only set up OpenDNS on your PC or console. This does the job, but is a nuisance if you have a lot of equipment.

I hope that everyone having problems with the new Sagem firmware has reported it to Sky, preferably by email/KANA. Remember this is an unofficial forum so reporting it here is not the same as reporting it to Sky. If sufficient complaints are made, they may withdraw it until it is proved stable.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

Inssider 2/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Angry Re: Sagem Firmware 2.6 upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      As Brian says, the Sky firmware locks you out of the DNS settings. You can do it on the Ver.1 routers by using CU firmware, but with the Ver. 2s you can only set up OpenDNS on your PC or console. This does the job, but is a nuisance if you have a lot of equipment.

I hope that everyone having problems with the new Sagem firmware has reported it to Sky, preferably by email/KANA. Remember this is an unofficial forum so reporting it here is not the same as reporting it to Sky. If sufficient complaints are made, they may withdraw it until it is proved stable.
      Yeah, I thought as much, totally lame as far as I am concerned. It's not like anyone is going to change the setting unless they know what they're doing in the first place.

I have to agree, it really is annoying when you have a lot of equipment to configure. I've ditched OpenDNS for now as it would mean configuring over eight devices.

I've reported the issue to Sky, and I hope everybody else does too.
      I'd love a tour of their quality control/testing department...

AceB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Having spent the morning resetting the wireless network and putting all the port forwarding back in I've just had a rant at support on the phone. Surprise surprise, they've not had any complaints about the IP reservation bug so I told em to google this forum. As he said he was writing down my comments to be passed on (probably to the bin) I also had a mini rant about letting the users know when an upgrade is imminent.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast