Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 63k members.

Broadband bridge help needed

This is a discussion on Broadband bridge help needed within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi folks just wondering if someone can help me with a problem, I have tried to look through lots of ...

andydean is offline Sky User Member
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic

Broadband bridge help needed

Hi folks just wondering if someone can help me with a problem, I have tried to look through lots of forums and can't find anything specific to my problem.

I have a sky netgear 834gt plugged into sky broadband and wirelessly covering the house. All good so far. I wish however to connect my new TV and blu-ray (via ethernet connections) into the internet, but these are on a different floor to the sky router and there is no way to run a cable (at least not without significant cost).

So I'm looking for a solution involving a new wireless router to act as a bridge, ie to extend the internet to a new router box that I can plug the TV, etc in to. Is this possbile and if so can anyone recommend a router I can buy that will do the job? I have seen some comments that sky routers don't support bridge mode but not sure if this true or not for my router. All the PCs in the house are running Vista by the way. Any help on how to configure the bridge would be helpful as that is well beyond my level of knowledge.

Alternatively I have seen other comments about "home plugs" that can be used to extend the network via the electricity wiring in the house. Would this work instead and if so any pointers on the type of plug product that I would need would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD

Re: Broadband bridge help needed

Wireless bridging is a pain in the backside, it's tricky to set up and even if you get it working you can get good signal but the throughput can be downright awful.

I use these homeplugs

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Electronics & Photo

and as they count as ethernet you just need to plug one by the router and the other one by the device you want to hook up.

If you have multiple devices in that room you want to hook up you can just use a cheap 10 switch to connect them to the homeplug.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!