Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Has my router died on me?

This is a discussion on Has my router died on me? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi guys, Run into a problem with my Broadband the last 24 hours. Got home last night to find my ...

dbfinch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Has my router died on me?

Hi guys,

Run into a problem with my Broadband the last 24 hours. Got home last night to find my router (I've got the DG934G) displaying the flashing amber light for the internet connection. It has done this in the past and tends to go away with a simple turning off and back on again, as it did this time. Worked OK for browsing around before I went to sleep.

However, when I woke up I found it was once again flashing amber. Despite the green light for the wireless being on, I couldn't connect to the router; every attempt resulted in a connection timeout message. This time turning the router off and on made no difference, so I turned it off and left it off for approximately 30 minutes. When I turned it back on neither the wireless nor the internet lights did anything; instead the test light came on. It stayed like that for a little while so I opted to reset it. That at least got rid of the test light and it showed up under my wireless networks, but no amount of trying allowed me to connect to the router.

So I reset it again, and having done that... all that is happening is both the power and test lights are flashing green. The reset button doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. It has been like that for an hour or two now, and nothing I've tried has made a difference.

Does it sound like a problem solely with the router? I'm not against picking another one up online (especially as I'd assume calling Sky wouldn't be free anyway) but I'm wondering if the fact that I had no internet connection/couldn't connect to the router before means calling up would be a better idea? Any help would be very much appreciated!

Just incase it is asked; I'm on Sky Unlimited, using Mac OS X 10.5.8.

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Has my router died on me?

To rule out a faulty PSU, if you have a spare 12v psu handy (most laptop chargers will fit into the router's power port) and see if the lights come on as they usually would. Obviously if this doesn't fix it, then it would certainly point towards the router.

dbfinch is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Just tried that and it made no difference; same two lights flashing green with the wireless/internet ones remaining blank.

One other thing I meant to mention is that the LAN lights are displaying correctly when I connect my Mac/360 in that manner. That could be completely irrelevant but it can't hurt to mention it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Looks like the router is nackered. Call up sky and tell them the issue. Be wary if an agent says he/she will send you a firmware CD to attempt a firmware recovery. Chances are you won't be able to get a local connection to do this recovery, and I've never heard of one working anyway. Decline the CD and lie that you've 'already tried it'. If you've only received the router in the last 12 months, it's free for a new router and psu, so that's what you want. It's 28quid if out of warranty. Otherwise, if you have your own router, you can extract the user and pass from the sky router and use a third party one, but it's against the terms and conditions of course.

Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I have (I hope) a replacement router coming from Sky in the next few days. The CS rep said that when they place an order for a new router a pop up appears on their screen with the options "CHARGE" or "NO CHARGE" and they can select the one they want. My router is nearly 4 years old so out of warranty of course but as I 'politely' mentioned to the CS rep that if Sky want to charge me for the equipment that ONLY they supply and that we HAVE to use my next call would be to the cancellation department.

So I await the next bill will bated breath.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim1964 View Post
      I have (I hope)The CS rep said that when they place an order for a new router a pop up appears on their screen with the options "CHARGE" or "NO CHARGE" and they can select the one they want.
      That is correct. It's literally a 'do you wish to charge for this replacement - yes or no' option. If no was selected, then you won't face a charge at all, obviously.

Agents are meant to advise 3-5 days for replacement delivery, but it's usually 2-3 working days at most.

Tim1964 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hoddesdon
      Broadband ISP: BT Infinity
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

The router was delivered on the 18th, I was surprised to see it was a D-Link model and not the Sagem.

It was all ready to go but to set it up 'properly' all I had to do was enter the services/port forwarding/firewall rules etc that I had written down from the defunct Netgear and it was all sorted.