Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Anybody recommend a router

This is a discussion on Anybody recommend a router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; If I was to take the plunge and replace the Sky supplied Sagem router what other router are people recommending. ...

heyho is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0113
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Anybody recommend a router

If I was to take the plunge and replace the Sky supplied Sagem router what other router are people recommending.

Ideally I need one with good wireless capabilities (main reaon for wanting to change as wireless reception isn't brilliant and its a new build house so no really thick walls) but could also do with gig etherent support.

What other routers are people using and do they notice any real benefits over the Sky supplied ones

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Anybody recommend a router

Gigabit Ethernet is only needed if all your devices are Gigabit enabled. If not, it's pointless.

Wireless is crap, ditch it completely and invest in Homeplugs instead - a million times better. Having said that, I assume you've taken off the 'Auto' selection and tried each channel to see if anything is better?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

puskas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028256
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Must agree, Home Plugs are amazing .Use them for the PS3 and theres no stuttering or freezing when streaming movies or gaming

Thanks

I use homeplugs (the 'slower' version 1.0's) to connect the Xbox to the router and am impressed with it - even streaming Skyplayer is fine. Might well upgrade them to the higher AV spec and buy a couple more (or a double one) to connect my bluray and more importantly Squeezebox. Saying that I might also hardwire ethernet.

It's the Squeezebox that struggles the most 'wirelessly' since I moved the router back to the master switch (instead of from an extension) to maximise my bandwith. And I've tried different channels and do get better from different ones.

As for gigabit I appreciate what you area saying I was just thinking of future proofing as I replace stuff and it becomes more readily available

Thanks

I think the Homeplug route will be your best bet - you could even get one which is a wireless point so you can still have a degree of 'wire-free' use

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

I've taken your advice and purchased a couple of 'cheap' Net-x 200mb Homeplugs off Amazon for 45 - one to connect to the router and one to the x-box (should help streaming)

Net-x 200mb Homeplug Av Adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

and a further Solwise wireless 200mb Homeplug (45 and which also has an ethernet port) which I can connect behind my TV and connect my bluray directly to via ethernet and then have the extended wireless right next to my Squeezebox.

Review Solwise PL-200AV-PEW Wireless Homeplug AV Adapter (Single) (NET-PL-200AV-PEW)

Slipped up a bit on the Solwise though as for an extra tenner there's another version of this which has 'N' wireless capabilities and two etherent ports. But this one should be ok for what I want.

puskas is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 028256
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I bought these ones.
      Basic but a pretty good job.
      Extra Value 85Mbps Powerline Adapter Twin Pack - Ebuyer

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by heyho View Post
      I've taken your advice and purchased a couple of 'cheap' Net-x 200mb Homeplugs off Amazon for 45 - one to connect to the router and one to the x-box (should help streaming)

Net-x 200mb Homeplug Av Adaptor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

and a further Solwise wireless 200mb Homeplug (45 and which also has an ethernet port) which I can connect behind my TV and connect my bluray directly to via ethernet and then have the extended wireless right next to my Squeezebox.

Review Solwise PL-200AV-PEW Wireless Homeplug AV Adapter (Single) (NET-PL-200AV-PEW)

Slipped up a bit on the Solwise though as for an extra tenner there's another version of this which has 'N' wireless capabilities and two etherent ports. But this one should be ok for what I want.
      Would've been better to buy all the same - reduces possibility of incompatibility...