Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Linking 2 routers together?

This is a discussion on Linking 2 routers together? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; There is no reason why not if you are linking them by ethernet or Homeplug. Both are 108mbps super G ...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Linking 2 routers together?

There is no reason why not if you are linking them by ethernet or Homeplug. Both are 108mbps super G so if you have compatible adapters you should get a good result.

Plug the GT into your PC, using ethernet, remember it just need the power plugged in, not the internet. Go to the wireless setting and make them exactly the same as your PN router. Change the SSID and channel. If your adapters are compatible with 108mbps, set the mode to 108mbpsAuto, if they are not set it to 'g only'. Remember to click Apply. Now go to the LAN IP settings and change the IP address to 192.168.0.254. Untick the box for 'Use Router as DHCP server' and click Apply. Power off, unplug from the PC and plug into the Homeplug, power back on. Give it a few minutes for the router to be found then put http://192.168.0.1 into your browser address bar. This should take you into the settings of the PN. Check that the router is shown with the 254 address in the Attached Devices list. You should now be able to access the internet using the ports of the GT router or its wireless.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      charmed12007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lisburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

sorry i'm so stupid
      how do you get into the gt's settings

Thanks

Take the ethernet cable out of the PN and plug it into the GT. Power on the GT, wait till your PC connects to it, it may say local only, but that does not matter. Open a browser and type http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar. If it still has the Sky firmware, username is admin and password sky. If it is Netgear firmware the password will be password or 1234. Username admin.

Note- You should always use ethernet to makes changes to routers, if you use wireless you can loose the connection at any time.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

charmed12007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lisburn
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

thanks for the advice
      i don't think it makes a difference to the speeds of the connection though
      just have to wait on fttc

Thanks

It depends on the layout and fabric of your house. If you had thick walls blocking the signal from the first router then it would help if your 2nd router was on the other side of the walls. If the walls are thin it is not going to make much difference.

If you have not already done it download and run Inssider from the link below. Use it to discover the networks and channels in use in your area. Change the channel in your routers to one as far from those in use as possible. This may give you a speed increase.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12