Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Dead Netgear V1

This is a discussion on Dead Netgear V1 within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; My 2007 vintage Netgear router died this morning. Power to the ethernet ports only - no power light, or any ...

MagicBoy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: MRSTO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Dead Netgear V1

My 2007 vintage Netgear router died this morning. Power to the ethernet ports only - no power light, or any sign of wireless or ADSL activity. Borrowed a spare power pack from work, still the same.

Phoned Sky, they want 38 for a new router as its "out of warranty". When did they introduce this? Strikes me as a bit mean as I've been a customer for nearly three years.

When I signed up they sent me four routers on consecutive days and I sent the spares back. Maybe that was a mistake...

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Re: Dead Netgear V1

It has been 28 for out-of-warranty routers for about a month or so now. Apparently sky's statistics show so far that no one has cancelled as of yet due to OOW router charges, so sadly it's here to say probably.

I have heard people raising a complaint about the charge and eventually being sent a free one if enough fuss is kicked up.

Thanks

I've borrowed a Speedtouch from the next door neighbour which has got me back online for the moment. Yes I am aware of the T&Cs.

I did ask Sky for the password and was advised it's withheld for security reasons, at which point I asked why they were holding me to ransom over a new router as I can't use a third party unit.

When I find my Torx driver I'll crack the Netgear open to find out why it's not working.

Will phone again tomorrow and threaten to cancel. Hopefully I won't get a foreign call centre this time.

aeroreg is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01426
      Broadband ISP: everyday
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Um, my DG834GT died on saturday, i spent 1 1/2 hours talking to tech support. only to be told that I will have to pay for a new DG834GT 28 delivery 3 to 5 days! i am fortunat i can acces webmail at work and the internet. by chance I checked my usage wait for it I used 1.3 gb with out a working router! how come? I am seriously thinking of junking sky anf going back to cable>

Thanks

Phoned up again asked for a manager after threatening to leave citing lack of choice and inability to legally use a non-Sky supplied router. I'm not on Sky Talk so I'm not tied in.

Few minutes on hold, guy comes back saying a free router on the way. Reason being "I've been a customer since 2007". Told it will be a v2 Netgear or Sagem.

Result.