Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Router Frequently Disconnects

This is a discussion on Router Frequently Disconnects within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Kevpc, if you don't post your router stats from the current location and the TEST socket, there is not much ...

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Router Frequently Disconnects

Kevpc, if you don't post your router stats from the current location and the TEST socket, there is not much anyone can do. There are many things that will cause the router to re-sync.

Who do you pay your line rental too? If it is BT then you need to speak to them but as advised, you may end up with a bill.

Are you connecting via wireless??? if so, try a wire, this could be the reason why you speed is dropping.

2. Advertisement
      TheDeputy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01255
      Broadband ISP: AOL
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      If your using an extension lead then that will be the main culprit
      I already said above that I did connect it to the master socket, without any extension leads, and the router still disconnected, giving me the orange flashing lights. I'm about to do the test socket thing now.

Thanks

Right, I couldn't do the test socket where you remove the screws because my radiator was blocking one screw meaning I couldn't get the faceplate off. So, what I've done is plug my router directly into the master socket, with no extension lead, while using a filter. Here are my results. As you can see, the 6MB/s I was promised is actually shown when plugged into the master socket, but 4.4MB/s was shown while using the extension lead.

Just a quick question though, when I do a speed test, I get around 5.1MBps to 5.3MBps, why can't I get the speed shown in the screenshot below?

Thanks

As I thought, your extension lead is slowing your connection. you need to either run the router from that socket and run an ethernet to the PC or use wireless.

Your real world download speed will never hit the sync speed because you need to allow for overheads etc so usually 10-20% less than the sync so you are getting it about right.

kevpc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

hi again smithy99. appreciate exactly what you are saying and what you are trying to do for me. i did go through all thie different steps in a thread i started before and, basically nothing has changed since then. after speaking to sky today, they have finally admitted that there is a problem with my line and i need to try the new router when it arrives then contact them again to arrange the engineer to call. although i was not connected to the net whilst talking to them, the guy could see the snr constantly changing,which means a line fault. he thought quite a bad fault. he also said i will not be charged for the call out.
      concerning your other questions, i am connected by wire and do pay BT for line rental, but not calls. the sync speed has been increased again to 16000kbps today by sky. will wait to see how long it lasts before yet another reboot.
      also, please dont think i am not grateful for the offer of help. i really am but have tried everything i have been asked to do and more including posting stats here before with no cure atm. the stats are almost the same now as then. nothing has made any difference. my intention here, more than anything, was to show that others are in the same position as the thread starter and it takes a lot of calls and insisting before sky do anything to correct the issues. taking money is easy, providing the service they are supposed to whilst taking that money is the hard part and where the ' i'm not interested in you now' bit comes in. how they reckon they win the best service award, god only knows. not in my book, they dont! i will post back if i get a positive result.

Thanks

As I thought, your extension lead is slowing your connection. you need to either run the router from that socket and run an ethernet to the PC or use wireless.

Your real world download speed will never hit the sync speed because you need to allow for overheads etc so usually 10-20% less than the sync so you are getting it about right.
      Nice, I'll try not to use an extension lead. Cheers dude. Also, while I'm here, will a long ethernet cable give me a slower speed, compared with a shorter ethernet cable?

Thanks

Ethernet will easily run 100m with very little problems so you will not have an issue unless you live in a very large house.

Thanks

Ethernet will easily run 100m with very little problems so you will not have an issue unless you live in a very large house.
      Cheers

kevpc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

just to update. phoned sky again. guy i spoke to told me the problem started on 15/02 according to the graph of my connection he was looking at and he could see whilst we were talking that the noise margin was constantly changing, which should not happen and that it must be a fault on the line. asked me to try the router when it arrived and phone back. did that on 15/03. 3 reboots as soon as router in system. phoned next day. sky didn't say what they did but performed a remote reboot. speed up from 14100 to 14600. put my d-link in and speed up to 15500 straight away. booked engineer for next day. he agreed that problem was not with in-house equipment, but no line fault. even pair-quality test showed no problem. in his opinion fault was at exchange with sky equipment and recommended a 'lift and shift'. what is annoying now is, since the last change Sky made, had just one reboot that evening. sync speed constant and download speed hardly varies. could have made the change earlier and saved a callout. will be damned annoyed if they try to charge me now. will refuse and report the matter. now got the rapidshare/megaupload problem like so many others here. Sky are not doing themselves any favours atm. people gonna get fed up with being messed about. that could cost them dear!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12