Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Idiots?

This is a discussion on Idiots? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by emrobin They shouldn't be advertising anything regarding Xbox Live if they're not going to ensure you can ...

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Idiots?

Quote Originally Posted by emrobin View Post
      They shouldn't be advertising anything regarding Xbox Live if they're not going to ensure you can actually get it on your Xbox. Why? Because they're clearly trying to pull Xbox Live users in by doing this and once they have them, they're telling them they do not support Xbox Live connectivity issues. Seems a bit one-sided to me.

Watch great Sky TV via your Xbox 360
      you don't need to have Sky Broadband to use Sky Player. Sky Player is dealt with a different department, and all they do is tell you how to get it on your XBox. If you have a connection issue, they don't deal with it, as its not their problem.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

If the OP is with Sky Connect, then his troubles are just starting. It is a pity he did not find this forum before joining, he would not have touched it with a bargepole. The general advice to Connect users is to get out as soon as you can.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

OriginalMofo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Madley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      First of all, there is no 'Hardware' team. Your case will have been passed to CST, who you were speaking to before. The advisor will just have agreed with you to satiate you.
      I know that, my cynicsm didn't come out in the message. The point was they didn't call back in the agreed time of 72 hours.

Secondly, they did not impose these rules on you after you signed up. These rules have been in place since the inception of Sky Broadband, and the terms and conditions are freely available on the Sky website, as well as other unofficial sources. You don't even need to log in to Sky to see them.
      In terms of availability to all, agreed. However I signed up to this in a shopping mall. There was no disclosure of these terms at that point nor thereafter until my issues appeared. To be perfectly honest I was rather content in having negotiates 12 months Sky Connect for 10 instead of 17.

Finally, you will not be able to get the RIP changed. It is a hard coded setting. To change this is to change the firmware, and Sky are not going to write a custom firmware just for you. The bit about updating the firmware remotely refers to when a whole new firmware version is available, not adjusting settings within the router remotely.
      Agreed, and of course I know this. What is sad is that Sky decided to determine that I didn't need to know about nor interfere with RIP settings.
      My reference to updating firmware was that clearly it is possible, and it would only take a few minutes to compile a firmware from the router source code freely available from Netgear. I've already done this myself after playing with DD-WRT on some AP's around my home.

Sky do not support gaming to this extent. They have only recently started offering connection help for consoles. Anything more, and your on your own. No-one at Sky will be able to help you with this.
      Sky's support for consoles was clear from the phone conversations, but that's really not the point. Any domestic broadband connection should be capable of supporting consoles by default, I wonder how many families with children do not use one for gaming, I'm sure it's the minority.

However, and I know this for fact, there are other ways around it. We do occasionally get people who have more than 1 xbox, and have the same problem as you. They find ways around it (and they don't break the T&Cs to do it) so if you look online, there is definetely a way to do it yourself. (I think it might involve setting one of the xboxes as the DMZ, but don't quote me on that).
      I already found the solution to these issues - use all the XBox settings - port forwarding; NAT; MTU size, and add in RIP-2M for multiple XBoxes! I can't use DMZ. It's a little complex but the eldest son has his laptop on the same wireless route within the network. All his Uni work is archived on the server, his Documents file is mapped there with an offline set on the laptop, so there is definite need to maintain the Linux's Smoothwall security capability and still keep his laptop on the network through the wireless route. Opening the DMZ through the Sky router leaves me a gaping security hole to his AP.

and you are right, the Sky service is designed to be basic. It is designed in a way taht if you have never had broadband before, you would be able to set it up an start using it within 15 minutes. Whilst it doesn't always go that way, that is the intention. It is not a service designed around techies, or people who require more advanced features.
      Clearly it would be poor marketing to advertise their product as "basic", and I agree with the need to make things basic for easy start when it comes to novices (I baulked with the setup CD when I realised it was about to brand my browser et al with Sky logos, it found a new home replacing my current tea mug coaster). It is however rather partonising of Sky to assume that a skilled user wouldn't wish to maximise the capability of their technology.

I am rather "old school" in this respect having began my career in technology using MS-DOS 3 and writing commercial industrial code in BASIC on a Zylog Z80 - interestingly, curise missiles still run on a Z80! - it is my sheer frustration with Sky's incompetence in terms of technical knowledge, understanding, and willingness to assist which made me start this thread.

Take the other ISP I have the business line with (Pipex, now sadly part of Talk Talk). I began my contract with them on ISDN dual-channel before DSL was available here. A free phone number was always available direct to them and they would examine any routing issues live whilst on the phone, analysing at the same time. Isn't that what one should expect from a technical support team? Instead (and forgive the derision here) we get monkeys reading prompts from a screen like they were in an Asian call-centre. Why can't we speak with the organ-grinders? That is a question only Sky can and probably will not answer.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Thanks

OriginalMofo
      Hi as you say old School did you read Sky`s T & Cs on the connect package being a Bt re-badged max product Sky.com - Sky Products>Broadband>Terms and Conditions then scroll down to SKY BROADBAND CONNECT TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT POLICY.

Thanks

Yes I have read it (after the fact as mentioned earlier). I don't see what you're getting at though, yes it's a BT product but that's been the case with Openreach for too long already (though that situation is now changing).

Thanks

OriginalMofo
      Hi . What I am getting at is giving you some information on the Connect package which has Thousands of posts complaining. The Traffic Shaping from 5pm till Midnight and all weekend affects all connect Customers because the connect package is over subscribed useless for any type of gaming.There are many connect and ex connect Customers who have had speeds as low as 1kbps myself included and the Customer Service Team cannot do anything about it as long as Sky sales team keeps selling it.
      (though that situation is now changing)
      As for changes to exchanges it will take up to 7yrs before all rural exchanges are upgraded as stated on this thread Is Sky Connect now the worst BB product in the UK ? As Madley is rural and No LLU.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      ...The Traffic Shaping from 5pm till Midnight and all weekend affects all connect Customers because the connect package is over subscribed useless for any type of gaming.There are many connect and ex connect Customers who have had speeds as low as 1kbps myself included and the Customer Service Team cannot do anything about it as long as Sky sales team keeps selling it.
      Ah I see. Yes it could be an issue. It's early days yet for me and I haven't seen that problem with the Connect package yet. I've had a small program running on the uplink from the Softwall server monitoring the traffic and bandwidth it's not yet fallen below 1.6Mb. To be honest the actual gaming traffic is a lot less than I'd expected it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      As for changes to exchanges it will take up to 7yrs before all rural exchanges are upgraded... ...As Madley is rural and No LLU.
      Yes I'm aware of those points too. Even the prospect of BT opening ducts to other comms providers is a bit of a pie in the sky since no other provider will be remotely interested in laying cables to a few properties in the countryside.

This is an ongoing issue I've had with BT for over a decade. I look out of my back windows across meadows to Madley Earth Station - BT's uplink to the rest of the world! They're finalising the process of moving all major comms from Goonhilly to here. Over the last 20 years it's changed from being 3 large dishes with the addition of around 20 more, plus a microwave tower and others on a distant ridge.

I feelinsulted looking out at this mass of technology and yet still only getting 2Mb over an undersized copper wire. I once even offered to buy a larger cable to lay in the duct but that also fell on deaf ears. But hey I'm going way off topic here

Thanks

OriginalMofo
      Hi the hardest to believe is someone living next door to an exchange and finding out that their Attenuation was 65db Bt had ran the cable the opposite side of the exchange out round the town and they had the last connection (pity Bt did not run both ways cutting down on the distance. There by having no Customers with an high Attenuation) hope your exchange does get upgraded soon. Welcome to SkyUser

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12