Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Strange problem with DG934 router

This is a discussion on Strange problem with DG934 router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I have the DG934 router where twice in the last 3 days, the router have automatically reverted to ...

a_c_harris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Strange problem with DG934 router

Hi all, I have the DG934 router where twice in the last 3 days, the router have automatically reverted to factory settings. I set up a different password, set up WEP, and turned on access control to only allow known mac addresses to connect to the router.

This reset itself on Friday night, so I phoned up sky and they altered the IP or something, so got my BB back. Set it all up saturday night with the same settings as before, then overnight on Sunday, the router have reset to factory settings again and have to setup my wireless devices again.

Does this sound like a router dying or are sky resetting my settings due to me changing them to make it more secure. Also if I got to change my router, I think I will change it under the insurance that I got to cover my sky equipment as it supposed to cover broadband equipment rather than pay 28.

Does it sound like a dying router or not. Thanks.

Anthony

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Strange problem with DG934 router

Does this sound like a router dying or are sky resetting my settings due to me changing them to make it more secure.
      Sky will not be changing your settings, normally the only time this would happen is if the firmware was upgraded and not always then. It looks like something is faulty with the router causing the reset button to activate. What does it say in the router log?

There is no reason why you should not get it changed using your insurance, that's what it is for.

Incidentally, the default setting of WPA is stronger than the WEP you say you are using.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

a_c_harris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I know WPA is more secure, but my DS can only do WEP, I meant that give access to trusted mac addresses only by adding to the list to make it more secure and change the default password.

the log says the following for sunday:

Sun, 2010-02-28 16:33:00 - Receive NTP Reply from ntp1.isp.sky.com
      Sun, 2010-02-28 16:31:24 - Router start up

and todays date just shows entries for me logging in and failing to log in due to the reset. Am I right in thinking that the router start up is the router restarting from fresh??? thanks.

Anthony

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The first entry is just the request to the Sky server for the correct time. If there is nothing preceding 'Router startup' that indicates that the power was switched off, or the reset button was pressed. If you have done neither of these the router is faulty. If you find this continues you should contact Sky for a new router. You may have difficulty getting it replaced if there is nothing else wrong with it. It depends a lot on which agent you get.

Although WEP is better than nothing anyone who is willing to go to the extent of cracking it, will have no difficulty in 'spoofing' one of your MAC addresses to allow them entrance.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.