Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

I think my router is toast...

This is a discussion on I think my router is toast... within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just moved from Virgin to Sky and very pleased until today when I lost B/B. Phoned Sky, they said there ...

john.parsonsja is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Angry I think my router is toast...

Just moved from Virgin to Sky and very pleased until today when I lost B/B.
      Phoned Sky, they said there was a prob at the exchange, try again later. Later, still no joy phoned again and went thro rebooting router (hard reset), changing microfilter etc. Still no joy. Last resort tried replacing router with old Virgin one - bingo! 8725 kBps connection (fortunately had used this site to get password etc. Thanks guys!)
      Question: Anything else I can do to try and get my sky router (Black Netgear) to work?
      Failing that any tips on convincing Sky Help that I need a new one?

Thanks

John

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: I think my router is toast...

It may be the PSU that has failed (assuming when you tried the old virgin router, you also used the virgin PSU). You could either try swapping the PSU from the old virgin router to try with the netgear sky router or even grab a laptop charger - usually as long as it is 12v it will fit the router and obviously if there is still no power going to it, then it's a faulty router itself. If changing the PSU does sort it out, then obviously it's a faulty PSU in which case sky will send you one out for free if you call them up.

If you've confirmed it still is not working with a PSU change, then just call up sky, they'll ask you a couple of self-explanatory questions that you've already ruled out yourself anyway and if you're within warranty (12 months) then they'll send you a new router and PSU for free.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      It may be the PSU that has failed (assuming when you tried the old virgin router, you also used the virgin PSU). You could either try swapping the PSU from the old virgin router to try with the netgear sky router or even grab a laptop charger - usually as long as it is 12v it will fit the router and obviously if there is still no power going to it, then it's a faulty router itself. If changing the PSU does sort it out, then obviously it's a faulty PSU in which case sky will send you one out for free if you call them up.
      The Sky router is still working (after a fashion...) it just won't connect to the ADSL. (Actually I'm using the same PSU for both routers as they are both netgear models, saves the hassle of unplugging from a rather inaccessible mains plug )

If you've confirmed it still is not working with a PSU change, then just call up sky, they'll ask you a couple of self-explanatory questions that you've already ruled out yourself anyway and if you're within warranty (12 months) then they'll send you a new router and PSU for free.
      Hmm, I really hope it's that easy. I suppose the question really was motivated by the thought that I can easily prove that it is the router, by saying I'm using another one...but I'm not supposed to be doing that am I?!!!

John

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Ah, my apologies - if it is the case whereby your old router doesn't sync then it's gonna be a little harder. I take it on the sky router the internet light doesn't come on at all?

You'll have to call up sky, get through to tier 1 and go through the questions with those guys. It'll just be stuff like have you tried the test socket etc. Eventually you'll be passed to the customer solutions team - if you just tell the guys there that you've tried another router and that acquires a session, then a new router should be sent out no problems.

Edit: I know what you're saying about telling a sky employee about using a third party router due to the T&Cs, but don't worry about it - if you have a spare router to check then it's cool for 'testing purposes'.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You can plug the "spare" router into the line and see it connect/sync, you won't need the password to do this so no breach of the T&C's if they ask, just an easy way or checking if the Sky router is the problem.

paulcarrm9mx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john.parsonsja View Post
      Just moved from Virgin to Sky and very pleased until today when I lost B/B.
      Phoned Sky, they said there was a prob at the exchange, try again later. Later, still no joy phoned again and went thro rebooting router (hard reset), changing microfilter etc. Still no joy. Last resort tried replacing router with old Virgin one - bingo! 8725 kBps connection (fortunately had used this site to get password etc. Thanks guys!)
      Question: Anything else I can do to try and get my sky router (Black Netgear) to work?
      Failing that any tips on convincing Sky Help that I need a new one?

Thanks

John
      based on the title go to the doctors for help

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

He could always put marmalade on it and eat it with a cup of tea. It would not be a complete waste then

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for that guys.
      Is it possible to 'repair' the router by reflashing it with the firmware from the sky disk? Is that worth trying?

John
      PS
      Tried the marmalade but it kept gumming up the LAN...

JP

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It is more likely to be a hardware fault, which 'flashing' would not fix. Are you still within the 12 months? I believe Sky are now charging for out of warranty replacements. If you are, I would forget about it and just use your own one.

I notice you have just moved from Virgin, so take the free replacement, even if you don't use it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.