Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG934G VPN with Windows 7 - problems

This is a discussion on DG934G VPN with Windows 7 - problems within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, this is my first post with this forum. I have tried reading around for a long time, read many ...

cd993 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DG934G VPN with Windows 7 - problems

Hi, this is my first post with this forum. I have tried reading around for a long time, read many threads and tried multiple things so apologies if this requires an easy solution, but I have tried with no success, so heres my problem:

I am trying to set up a VPN between my sky DG934G router and my girlfriends pc so she can basically share my internet, simply for the purpose that at her university halls she cant get TV other than using an online tv service which her uni blocks some required ports and so as a work around she currently pays for a VPN from some internet site, but would be good if she could use mine for free!

Ive read the guides from this site and others which talk of creating rules which I have done such as:

Inbound Services
      # Enable Service Name Action LAN Server IP address WAN Users Log
      1 VPN-PPTP ALLOW always 192.168.0.2 Any Always
      2 VPN-L2TP ALLOW always 192.168.0.2 Any Always
      3 VPN-IPSEC ALLOW always 192.168.0.2 Any Always

Also I read that Services must be set up with regards to ports, so rightly or wrongly I currently have it set like this:

Service Table
      # Service Type Ports
      1 vpn (TCP) 1000 - 1725

Now I couldn't test this with her PC at this time and so I tried connecting to my VPN (windows 7 pc too) using my Windows Mobile phone. I read many guides and the set up seems pretty straight forward, using my IP and a username and password created in Windows 7. However it gets stuck and won't connect due to the error "VPN server problems: verify your username and password". Now, Ive made sure that the details are correct and so this must be due to something not quite right with my router.

The log given from the router upon trying to connect is as follows (starred out my PC and phones IP):

Fri, 2010-02-26 03:19:10 - TCP Packet - Source:**.***.***.*,1028 Destination:**.***.**.***,1723 - [VPN-PPTP rule match]

Not sure what this means? Ive tried making sure nothing is being blocked in my firewall and I know that my phone is somewhat connecting as up popped an RAS (Dial In) Interface in my firewall so something is just stopping this connecting.

Like I mentionned I'm sorry if this is an easy fix, hopefully it will be as have been trying but failing! My knowledge isn't too technical with regards to all of this so if anyone has some clear instructions/suggestions as to what I can do or if you require any more information from me, please let me know!

Many thanks, hope someone can help,
      Craig.

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: DG934G VPN with Windows 7 - problems

anyone any ideas at all?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I seem to remember that you couldn't do this with the Netgear or it needed a firmware upgrade, maybe someone with a better knowledge on this can advise what to do.

I think others have either requested the firmware upgrade with Sky or managed to get a Sagem router from them which will allow it.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

What VPN client are you using? You don't say and I don't think you can set up a VPN without one. Here is a list of clients.
      VPN Software Top Free Downloads

The Sagem needs an upgrade to work with certain clients, but the Netgears should work out of the box.

By the way, I don't think Sky will look too kindly on what you are trying to do.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

hi thanks for the reply. I was just using the windows vpn connection wizard to set it up, attempting to use my pc as the host for it. might try out the vpn clients given in that link but guess your right about sky not liking such activity so maybes to be on the safe side ill not pursue it, shame though!

redrouteparking is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Thanks

Hello Craig,

Did you manage to get connected to your vpn. I'm also trying to do the same thing where I'm able to access my work server from home. I've managed to get a connection using the same router as yourself. If you still require some help let me know and I'll advise you what I did to get a connection but I've not yet figured out how to dial into the router from outside the server.

Regards
      Paul