Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Think I Killed Netgear DG934G

This is a discussion on Think I Killed Netgear DG934G within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I recently received a new Netgear DG934G from Sky. Up until now I had been using the DG834PN however ...

DeclanTM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear DG834PN
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD 1TB
      Thanks

Think I Killed Netgear DG934G

Hi,

I recently received a new Netgear DG934G from Sky. Up until now I had been using the DG834PN however I noticed that the sync was very unstable and therefore decided to give this router a go.

It appears to have solved the problem with the sync speed jumping about 1000kps and sitting at a stable SNR.

As I had the DG834PN for several years now I was used to the official Netgear firmware UI and decided to flash this new router, however I used the flashing utility under Windows Vista, running in compatibility mode and the computer still BSOD'd.

Now the router appears to be unresponsive, I tried power cycling the device however it's not looking good, the power, tick and 4 ethernet lights are all flashing in very fast pulses. There is only one ethernet cable plugged into the router. The utility is not picking up any routers and no matter how many times I try I can not get the router back into recovery mode using the reset button.

Is there anyway this can be saved or have I permanently bricked the router?

Cheers,
      Declan
      Sky+ HD, Sky Broadband Max LLU, Netgear DG834PN

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Think I Killed Netgear DG934G

This can be done using Vista, but you must also Run the utility as Administrator. To flash the router now you will need to use the Recovery Utility. You should find it on the install CD you received with the router. Follow the instructions here to use it. - Answer The Utility offered here may not be compatible with your router.

You would be better trying it on an XP machine if you can get access to one. Even then you may have difficulties and you may have to install the MS Loopback driver as some bug in the utility requires 2 adapters to be installed.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I am now installing XP on my MacBook as I type. While that is finishing could I just ask a few questions.

Firstly it appears that the router cannot actually get into the recovery mode aka flashing power and tick lights only. I now have both they lights and the 4 Ethernet pulsing. When plugged into the computer the network port is not picking up a connection from the router and saying there is a network cable unplugged. Will this recovery still work under XP?

Secondly, what firmware am I actually flashing. The 934 or 834?

Thanks,
      Declan

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

DeclanTM
      Hi in Answer shows
      DG834v1, DG834v2, DG834Gv1 and DG834Gv2 Router Recovery Utility

Thanks

Hi,

As expected this has not worked. I cannot get the Netgear recovery utility to see the router, I think it's completly bricked. When I connected the router to the computer using the ethernet cable, Windows does not even see the cable plugged into the computer, the two little computers still have a red cross through them and it displays the status "Network cable unplugged." It's like the routers ethernet ports are no longer functioning and therefor there is no way to interface with the device to restore the firmware.

Is there any other way this router can be put into the recovery mode. Right now the router is just sitting with the tick, power and the four ethernet lights flashing in quick puleses. I have not seen it in this state before.

Thanks,
      Declan

Thanks

When the power and tick lights are flashing alternately, this means that it is in recovery mode. However the port lights should not be lit until a cable is plugged in. I am afraid it is bricked. There is one other thing you can try and that is trying to get it into recovery mode by switching the power off, hold in the reset button and keeping it held in, switch the power back on. Keep the button pressed until the lights flash. This is the usual way to get the Netgear into recovery mode, if it works, only the power and tick will be flashing. Plug the ethernet cable in and if the port lights up, you are on your way.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

woodface7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm also wondering if it's time to pronounce the last rights over a Sky router - the DG834, which only ever used Sky's firmware.

It stopped detecting broadband and responding to our PCs, wired or wireless.

I'm trying to revive it with Recovery Utility cos it had better range than the unbranded identical one (well, V3) I replaced it with, picked up for 2 at a carboot.

I've followed the instructions, directly using the original Sky CD. (You don't need to first copy the files onto your PC do you?). Using XP as administrator I tried two different machines, using various ethernet cables. Firewall and anti-virus off. Got the router in recovery mode, giving alternate flashing power and tick lights. Also, ethernet port lights up when plugged in. All good.

I click Upgrade Wizard. It detects my network card, which I select and click 'Next'.

But then the Device List is always blank.

Any ideas how to make it visible?

Or did it maybe stop working due to a hardware fault, rather than corrupt software?

Thanks

Any ideas how to make it visible?
      Have you tried installing the Loop Back driver, post #2 above?

TomD

Useful Utilites