Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

replacing Router Help

This is a discussion on replacing Router Help within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, I know there are many,many threads on replacing the sky router with another, but i am thinking of trying ...

big_buddha36 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

replacing Router Help

Hi,

I know there are many,many threads on replacing the sky router with another, but i am thinking of trying the following & wonder if anyone else has tried / or can recommend what i should do:

My MAIN aim is to increase coverage within the home. I have tried replacing the antenna high a high-gain one & that has marginal improvements over stock, however, what i really want to do is use a gigabit ethernet connetion between my pc & PS3 for video streaming.

My thoughts on solving this are:

1) switch the wireless on my DG834GT OFF
      2) connect to new router / access point via ethernet
      3) hard-wire connect PC & PS3 to new gigabit
      4) use new router with (better) coverage for any other wireless devices i have

Reasoning?:
      I'm thinking this way because

a) i dont want to spend a lot on Wireless-N and not use it
      b) i think this will avoid trying to replace the modem connection to sky - still officially connect via the DG834GT

ALSO: if this is possible, can i take it a little further and switch off the router part of it (DHCP) as well - attempting to simply dumb-down the DG834GT to just a modem - letting the new router act like a router, rather than an access point

any thoughts?

2. Advertisement
      olliea is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Brookwood
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: replacing Router Help

Yeah this is what I want to do, connect a new router to the official Sky one so it is not breaking T&C's.

But can someone tell me if I need to buy an ADSL or DSL router? Also do I need to change any settings on the old/new router, or is it just switch off wireless on the old one, and plug and play?

Thanks,
      Ollie

big_buddha36 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: replacing Router Help

Hi,

seem to be advising on my own thread here, but you want neither.

The ADSL part is the modem - most routers these days have them built in
      but what you're really looking at is a standard router (the bit that handles the connections to the machine/modem - issues the IP addresses etc)

I'm looking to switch it all off with the dg834GT - so it's effectively just an ADSL modem.

This will then connect to a standard router (all-be-it, wireless capable) and let that deal with everything else. I figure the DG834GT is still the thing connected to sky - but physically, it's a wired standalone modem

Si