Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turning off firewall on Sagem router?

This is a discussion on Turning off firewall on Sagem router? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Is there a way I can turn off the firewall on my Sagem router? I cant seem to find the ...

Agent_Trig is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Turning off firewall on Sagem router?

Is there a way I can turn off the firewall on my Sagem router? I cant seem to find the option that lets me do this within the router menus.

I need to turn it off as part of some trouble shooting that I need to do on my NAS drive.

Cheers

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Turning off firewall on Sagem router?

To turn the firewall off you have to create a Rule to over-ride the BLOCK always rule to ALLOW always. This in effect turns the firewall off. Click Add under Inbound services and use the drop down box to select Allow, click Apply.

Be very careful when you do this, make sure you have a firewall enabled on any PCs connected.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      To turn the firewall off you have to create a Rule to over-ride the BLOCK always rule to ALLOW always. This in effect turns the firewall off. Click Add under Inbound services and use the drop down box to select Allow, click Apply.

Be very careful when you do this, make sure you have a firewall enabled on any PCs connected.
      Is that all I need to do? No other details are needed?

Thanks

That is all you need do. If you want to check that it is open, do a test on https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2. You will have to turn off the firewall on the PC you are doing the test on.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      That is all you need do. If you want to check that it is open, do a test on https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2. You will have to turn off the firewall on the PC you are doing the test on.
      Could you have a look at the screengrab I have attached and let me know what other details I need to input as well as its asking for a LAN server IP address too.

The main reason why I am trying to do this is so that I can see my NAS drive outside of my home network. I have tried to forward a port to it without any luck so now I am resorting to just turning off the firewall.

Unless you can help me with the port forwarding?? (I can attach screen grabs of my settiings page if that helps?) I have searched the internet over and over and have tried many different port numbers but still no joy.

Anyway, I have attached a screengrab of where I need to setup an ALLOW ALL rule...

CheersTurning off firewall on Sagem router?-screen-shot-2010-02-10-19.01.10.jpg

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

What IP are you forwarding and where are you pointing it to?
      DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting is useful for remote access.
      Also what protocol are you forwarding? My NAS needed FTP not HTTP protocols forwarded to my NAS.

Thanks

I have just had a 'play' with this and cannot get it to work. Putting the device/PC address into the LAN should allow all traffic through but according to Shieldsup, most of hem are still stealthed.
      Unless I also have missed something it seems Netgear have made it impossible to turn off the firewall. Have a look at this -
      How to Disable the Netgear Router Firewall

This one is virtually the same
      How to Stop the Netgear Firewall | eHow.com

The nearest I got was ticking 'Disable Port Scan and DOS protection' in the WAN setup. This opened a couple of ports but left most closed.

The bottom line is that Netgear strongly discourage turning off the firewall.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      What IP are you forwarding and where are you pointing it to?
      DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting is useful for remote access.
      Also what protocol are you forwarding? My NAS needed FTP not HTTP protocols forwarded to my NAS.
      I'm not too sure what you mean by protocol, but my Buffalo Linkstation NAS has a dedicated WebAccess page that I visit (BUFFALO Web Access) where I am then prompted to enter my username. This works from within my network but not from outside it.

I have attached a couple more screengrabs of the settings I have entered into my router to try and forward a port to my nas - maybe you can see where I have gone wrong? 192.168.0.4 is my NAS drive's IP address.

I have randomly picked port 1000 as I have not been told to pick anything else. Also in my NAS manual it says the following "You can enter any valid port from 1-65535. Please note that the LinkStation or TeraStation is always using port 9000 for internal access to the Web Access server."

Any help on this would be much appreciated as I have had this since Christmas and still have not been able to access the NAS from outside which was one of its main purposes.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Cheers
      Turning off firewall on Sagem router?-screen-shot-2010-02-11-07.19.59.jpg
      Turning off firewall on Sagem router?-screen-shot-2010-02-11-07.19.21.jpg

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Your NAS is probably using FTP to access the drive from the internet, you need to allow that protocol and not UDP at a guess.
      What is the model number of your Buffalo? I will have a look at the manual for you but the one I just had a peak in states FTP protocol in use on page 31 for access via internet.
      Once we know the full model of the NAS we can help a bit more but have you tried pointing a browser at your Sky external IP address? (Normally 90.x.x.x)

Thanks

Looking at this - Buffalo Web Access Quickstart you don't need to open any ports, if you have UPnP enabled. What happens when you try to use this?

No matter what system you use you really need to use a DynamicDNS. If you don't, a change in your IP address, which can happen at any time, will stop your connection.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast