Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Getting Sky to change my router

This is a discussion on Getting Sky to change my router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I've been with Sky BB for 3 years now and I am still using the original Netgear V1 DG834G (firmware ...

dflour69 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hastings
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Getting Sky to change my router

I've been with Sky BB for 3 years now and I am still using the original Netgear V1 DG834G (firmware V1.03.87 ), which was supplied when I first joined. It appears to be running a good bit hotter than it used to. I have it on a wire rack, open on all sides, yet it still gets unpleasantly hot. My connection suffers increasingly from short intermittent disconnections and I wondered if the router may be getting a bit 'tired'. These disconnections do not show as line drops in my stats.

As I explained in a previous post, I am disabled so checking the wiring by removing the face plate and plugging into the master socket is practically beyond me. It's certainly not something I can do when talking to tech support.
      Can anyone suggest a way for me to persuade Sky to replace my original router with one that is bang up to date?

BTW: I connect to the router using WiFi, which does slow things up a bit, but that is not really a problem for me.

TIA.

2. Advertisement
      indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Re: Getting Sky to change my router

Sky will only replace your router if they can actually determine that it is faulty.

However, if they do, then you are now charged 28 for replacement routers, as it is out of warranty

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

However, if they do, then you are now charged 28 for replacement routers, as it is out of warranty
      Is this confirmed and in place? If so are they giving out the user details so you can buy your own router?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Is this confirmed and in place? If so are they giving out the user details so you can buy your own router?
      it is confirmed, cos I've had to do it. And no, they aren't giving out details as far as i;ve been told. In fact, last I heard, if someone argues and doesn't want to pay for a new router, we've to pass them to cancellations to cancel their broadband down.

Mind you, it may all change by the next time i'm in

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I haven't been in work for a couple of days, but last I heard it was postponed. I mean, I've been replacing out of warranty routers for free anyway.

reech is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Penn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I've just received a Sagem in place of my old Netgear which was constantly dropping connections in the last two weeks (three years of behaving fine before that though, so not bad!).

I was not informed of any cost, so I do not expect to pay anything. I do seem to remember Sky getting blasted for this a while back, so I'm pretty sure they aren't doing it right now. Will check the bill though
      ---reech---