Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DG934G Firewall Configuration

This is a discussion on DG934G Firewall Configuration within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I'm trying to configure a DG934G so that all computers on the local network are invisible to each other. In ...

Blueberry is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

DG934G Firewall Configuration

I'm trying to configure a DG934G so that all computers on the local network are invisible to each other. In other words, one computer isn't able to ping, port scan, connect to a file or print server, etc, on another computer on the same wireless network. I've tried blocking the inbound and outbound services in the router's firewall rules, but that doesn't seem to work. Is there another way to do this?

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: DG934G Firewall Configuration

Simple really if your PCs are all using wireless. Go into the wireless settings and tick the button for 'Wireless Isolation'. None of the wireless connected PCs/Laptops will be able to see one and other.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      Simple really if your PCs are all using wireless. Go into the wireless settings and tick the button for 'Wireless Isolation'. None of the wireless connected PCs/Laptops will be able to see one and other.
      Just tried it, this stops them connecting to the wireless network completely......

Thanks

There must be something wrong with the router or the way it is configured. It works on mine, the DG834GT, it should work on all wireless routers. As the name suggests it is the standard way to isolate wireless clients from one and other.

There is no way you can do this using the firewall, it is only concerned with data leaving or entering your network, not what happens within it.

It may be possible to hide the PCs from each other by giving them unique Workgroup names, but I am not sure.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

There must be something wrong with the router or the way it is configured. It works on mine, the DG834GT, it should work on all wireless routers. As the name suggests it is the standard way to isolate wireless clients from one and other.

There is no way you can do this using the firewall, it is only concerned with data leaving or entering your network, not what happens within it.

It may be possible to hide the PCs from each other by giving them unique Workgroup names, but I am not sure.
      In the router settings it says this, so I'm not sure...

Wireless Isolation

If Enabled, the router will be hidden from other wireless devices. For normal situations, this setting should be left at the default value of Disabled.
      Would changing the routing table instead work?

Thanks

In the router settings it says this, so I'm not sure...

Quote:
      Wireless Isolation

If Enabled, the router will be hidden from other wireless devices. For normal situations, this setting should be left at the default value of Disabled.
      This because most users want their PCs to be part of a network, where each can communicate with another. You want the opposite.

I am not sure what you mean by changing the routing table.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

This because most users want their PCs to be part of a network, where each can communicate with another. You want the opposite.

I am not sure what you mean by changing the routing table.
      I need them to be able to see the router and connect to the network for internet access, etc. but since there's no need for the wireless clients to be sharing resources with each other, I wanted them to be invisible to each other for extra security.

Anyway, what I meant is could you configure the routing table in the router settings so that only traffic to and from the internet is allowed, and traffic between local clients on the wireless network is blocked or redirected somewhere else?

Thanks

I need them to be able to see the router and connect to the network for internet access,................. .........................................., I wanted them to be invisible to each other for extra security.
      That is what Wireless Isolation does. What error message do you get when you try it? Are you using WPA security.

I don't think there is any way this can be done with firewall settings. This is only concerned with what enters and leaves the Network (Router) not what is happening on the home side of the network.

Have you tried giving them different Workgroup names?

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

That is what Wireless Isolation does. What error message do you get when you try it? Are you using WPA security.

I don't think there is any way this can be done with firewall settings. This is only concerned with what enters and leaves the Network (Router) not what is happening on the home side of the network.

Have you tried giving them different Workgroup names?
      It was WPA. When Wireless Isolation was selected the client would get an error message saying it couldn't find the network. In the end I just set up another router as a wireless access point and firewall, and then connceted that to the main router instead. Anyway, thanks for your help.

Exchange:
      Thanks

By the way, since the V1 and the V2 firmware only supports WPA, has there been any upgrades to allow them to support WPA2 as well?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast