Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Phone cable extension problem

This is a discussion on Phone cable extension problem within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been with Sky for a few weeks now and was pleased with my 16Mb connection. However now that ...

jacktheladfrost is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Phone cable extension problem

I have been with Sky for a few weeks now and was pleased with my 16Mb connection. However now that my phone connection is live I have lost considerable speed. I'm currently on 3Mbs.

Here is how my connection is set up.

From PC to netgear DG934G via ethernet
      netgear to ADSL filter
      filter to phone cable extension
      extension to BT wall socket.

This worked fine until plugging in the phone into the extension's splitter at the wall socket.

I've tried all variations possible but with the PC being at the opposite end of the room to the wall socket I am not able to continue the connections if I plug the filter into the wall socket first. I will need either an ethernet extension or extend the phone cable with the mini usa style plug betwen the filter and router. Even going back to my original config without connecting the phone my net speed is not up to scratch.

Hope i haven't been too confusing.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Phone cable extension problem

Take your stats from where you are now, then take out the splitter and plug the extension straight into the socket then plug the phone into the same filter as the router. Take your stats.

If you have read some of the forum you will know that using an ordinary plug in extension for ADSL is not recommended. It will always give poor results. If you are forced to use an extension, get a proper one made of twisted pair cable.

Do you only have one phone socket, the master, in your house?

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I think I'm connected as you have suggested and as you can see I'm back up to a more respectable 15Mb but I have a feeling that once I pick up the phone I will lose the connection completely and then drop back down once I get the connection back.

Its a bit late for me to be messing right now so I'll leave things as they are as I know its working and the rest of the family will be happy with that for now.

I'll check again tomorrow and see how things are.

Thanks for your help. Who sells the adsl extentions? I'm registered with Play, Amazon and Dabs

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

just get a longer Ethernet cable instead - don't bother with DSL extensions...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

RunItDirect who is a member of the forum, will fix you up at a decent price, I think he gives a discount to Forum members. PM him, referring him to this thread and he will fix you up. http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/priva...=newpm&u=25214

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWasNotTheEnemy View Post
      just get a longer Ethernet cable instead - don't bother with DSL extensions...
      That was my first option but I went for a quick fix. (PC World23 or Play 3? Don't you just love that place!)

All seems well at the mintue. The phone has been used today and I'm back up to 16,3Mb (well I was 10 minutes ago)

Thanks everyone,

All I need to do now is stop the phone from hissing.