Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

received new sky netgear router

This is a discussion on received new sky netgear router within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Ive been with Sky broadband for a few years and been using the black Sagem router. The power adaptor ...

eldy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

received new sky netgear router

Hi

Ive been with Sky broadband for a few years and been using the black Sagem router. The power adaptor died so was sent a new adaptor.

This did not work so Sky said they will send me a new router. However the router now works as I just switched it off and back on again!

Sky said the Sagem would still continue to work and just send back the Netgear.

Is it worth keeping hold of the Netgear and sending back the Sagem instead? Or is there no difference in terms of reliability?

Also how much would Sky charge me if I kept the Netgear anyway (so I can use it as a backup incase the Sagem dies on me again)

2. Advertisement
      misfit96 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: received new sky netgear router

they wont charge you, i would keep hold of the netgear if i was you. sky never really do anything if you dont post your old router back although this may be changing soon as they start to charge for out of warranty routers(which is apparently due to start this month).

bjproc is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Forfar
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by misfit96 View Post
      they wont charge you, i would keep hold of the netgear if i was you. sky never really do anything if you dont post your old router back although this may be changing soon as they start to charge for out of warranty routers(which is apparently due to start this month).
      i bet my GF's dad will be happy then, as he got a replacement router last week.

still, if that was the case, i think i'd say to put me through to cancellations

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bjproc View Post
      still, if that was the case, i think i'd say to put me through to cancellations
      your not the only one! if sky aren't going to give you the freedom to go and buy your own router(one that will last significantly longer than the sky router's and have better quality wirless) then they should be replacing routers free of charge despite the age

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Out of warranty router charges start Tuesday. I CAN'T WAIT to see how this pans out and how long this lasts before sky realise how much of a rubbish decision this is.

Exchange:
      Thanks

also if sky are going to charge for routers then they cant really leave it to chance whether you receive a netgear or sagem one, alot of people(quite rightly) prefer to use netgear routers and it wouldnt be fair for sky to sell a router and not allow the user to request which router it is. there are only 3 viable options for sky i believe:

1. let people use their own router
      2. supply routers free of charge
      3. allow customers to choose which router they would like(ie an option of a high quality wireless-N router)

sky's current plans(as of tuesday) are certainly not viable and it is going to lead to alot of cancellations

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

O2's board must be rubbing the skin off their hands. The decisions Sky have made over the past year are unbelievable. It is almost as if they want to reduce their user base. It is going to be interesting to see what happens as anyone with an out of warranty router will also be out of contract so will have no reason to stay.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

The thing is, CST are going to have to replace someones' router before it's logged to onnet escalations to be looked at further and if that router does not fix things, then they have to be then reimbursed AND send the cpe back to sky. Absolute nonsense.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by User05 View Post
      The thing is, CST are going to have to replace someones' router before it's logged to onnet escalations to be looked at further and if that router does not fix things, then they have to be then reimbursed AND send the cpe back to sky. Absolute nonsense.
      wow thats a good point! at this point alot of customers would be angry enough having to wait 3-5 days for a new router that alot of the time doesnt do a thing and then to make things worse they will be asked for their card details