Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

DG834GT can't handle the strain?

This is a discussion on DG834GT can't handle the strain? within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, My dg834gt has two PC's (PC1 and PC2) connected to the ethernet ports and I have an Xbox running ...

joker3001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question DG834GT can't handle the strain?

Hi,

My dg834gt has two PC's (PC1 and PC2) connected to the ethernet ports and I have an Xbox running XBMC streaming video (wirelessly) from PC1. If PC2 is off then I am able to stream videos pretty well, if PC2 is running then I get alot of stuttering! Normally my son is on PC2 running some flash games.

Are there any tests I can run to see what is going on with the router? Is it under strain? Is PC2 just sending out too much traffic?

Cheers
      J

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: DG834GT can't handle the strain?

It won't be the router, you are just using up too much bandwidth on one of the PC's. It is worth doing the normal virus scans etc just in case you have something lurking in the background.

You could always invest in a switch with QOS, this would allow you to limit each PC so they all get a fair share.

joker3001 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      It won't be the router, you are just using up too much bandwidth on one of the PC's. It is worth doing the normal virus scans etc just in case you have something lurking in the background.

You could always invest in a switch with QOS, this would allow you to limit each PC so they all get a fair share.
      So what your saying is that PC2 is probably generating too much traffic and hence consuming alot of bandwidth on the internal network? How can I test for this?

Like I said my son plays a flash game (roblox) that will not be too heavy on internet resources. Interactions (like remote desktop) between PC1 and PC2 do slow down alot when I copy files from one to the other.

J
      Last edited by joker3001; 07-01-10 at 01:56 PM.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Consider it like this, you have a set amount of bandwidth, the probem you are having is that at the moment, one PC is able to eat all of it without allowing enough spare for the remaining machines, you find this a lot with P2P and torrents etc, they will use everthing they can.

If you are transfering data around the network then this will choke the router as the network is full and the internet traffic will queue until there is capacity to use.

The only soloution is to use some type of QOS device, this will allow you to assign a maximum amount of data to one machine and thus allow spare capacity for the rest.