Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

(Another) Using a different Router thread

This is a discussion on (Another) Using a different Router thread within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Joined up to SkyHD/Broadband, not realising it was against Sky's TandC to use a different router. So far I'm pretty ...

nickhopkins7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

(Another) Using a different Router thread

Joined up to SkyHD/Broadband, not realising it was against Sky's TandC to use a different router. So far I'm pretty happy with the service I've gotten from Sky, broadband seems about as 'quick' as it did on Virgin, everything was fairly smooth switching from BT, not gunna badmouth Sky for them not letting me use a different router, should have read the small print, my fault, lesson learnt.

Now I've had a hunt around and know you can find out your login details if you so wish, I know it's against Sky t&c and that this forum doesn't endorse breaking these.

All I'm wondering is, has anyone been, or know of anyone that has had, their wrists slapped by Sky for using a different router? Is it wide spread for them to enforce this 'rule'? If they catch you, do they have you up infront of the Old Bailey double quick time, or just a friendly word in your ear asking you to plug the original router in?

Thanks

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: (Another) Using a different Router thread

There are more ways to use a non sky router than just getting your details and completely removing the sky one from the socket. Is there a reason you want to use your own???

nickhopkins7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

At present, no real reason, and I'm only exploring the possibilty for my own curiosity. Just thinking out loud really, I currently stream my music around the house from NAS, which is a little bit slow to get going, but nothing terminal, but am thinking about maybe streaming larger files, such as video, and maybe backing up my pictures, which are pretty big, via the WLAN to NAS, and just thinking a router that can handle a bit more bandwidth, might serve those needs a bit better.

Guess I'm just wondering if it's even worth considering at this point, what the likelyhood is of it causing agro with Sky, in which case, I'd probably not bother with that path. In which case maybe looking at those powerline solutions.

Thanks again

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Sky can tell if you're not using their router but at present no-one seems to have been cut off for doing so, although there is a thread on here suggesting someone using a Belkin can't anymore but can still use the Sky router so make of that what you will...

If you do chose to use your own one, keep the Sky as you'll need it to should you need to call Sky Technical Support...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket