Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Losing Internet connection

This is a discussion on Losing Internet connection within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Dear all, probs used to hearing this but I am not the greatest with computers and routers, however I am ...

cuna84 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Losing Internet connection

Dear all, probs used to hearing this but I am not the greatest with computers and routers, however I am coming across a frustrating problem with my internet connection/router. When using my internet, and whilst usually gaming, my internet switches from local and internet (with globe symbol) to local only (without globe symbol) yet my signal strength remains at 4-5 bars so it cant loss of signal from the router. It only cuts out for about 30 secs or so but it is enough to disconnect me from whatever it is I am doing and it is highly frustrating especially when gaming. Whilst I predominantly use wirelss, I have tried using a LAN cable and this still keeps on occuring at regular intervals (probs 4-5 times a week) and not at specific times in the day. I am unsure of the reasons why it does this and I was wondering if anybody knows why this happens and if there is a fix. Some people have said it is my Sky router updating, yet I have got into the habit of rebooting it every day, after a short pause. If this is the case, is there any way of turning the router auto update off? Others have said it is something to do with packet loss from gaming, or the amount of users in the house using it, at least 3 people on most times, and up to a max of 5. Is it simply Sky/BT playing around with the line, or the quality of the phone line im using etc. As already mentioned I don't think (though I may be wrong) it is anything to do with signal strength since it is at 3 bars minimum, I just seem to lose connection with the outside world for about 30 secs before reconnecting, and was wondering why and if there are any solutions to this. Many thanks in advance. P.S I have started to do the changing wireless channels trick as in starting on channel 13 and work my way down, but not sure if this is relevant or will help

2. Advertisement
      User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Losing Internet connection

More than likely your router is losing synchronisation with your local exchange. You'll need to confirm that the fourth light along (the @ symbol) is dropping out and flashing amber, or whether any of the other lights are changing.

I'm going to assume it'll be the first scenario, which usually is something within the house. For reference, post your stats when the internet is working (link below on how to obtain these stats). A few questions to help get a further feel of the issue:

1. Any static/crackling on the landline phone?
      2. How many telephone sockets do you use in the house?
      3. Are these all filtered? (white boxes that have the words 'phone' & 'modem') If not, then every telephone socket in use needs a filter connected directly into them.
      4. Do you have sky tv connected to a telephone socket? If so, then check whether you have a splitter (it is a two-way blank white box) plugged in before a filter. If so, then remove it completely if you can. If you need it, then plug it in after the filter.
      5. The 'adsl' cable you use that runs from the back of the router to the telephone socket - is this a short light grey cable that sky supplied? Any extension cables in use?
      6. Where bouts is the router plugged in - is it in an extension socket or the master socket?

Thanks

Hi, ty for the help mate, not sure if these are the stats you need but i'm guessing they are:
      Firmware Version V2.02.44
      ADSL Port
      MAC Address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      IP Address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Network Type PPPoA
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.255
      Gateway IP Address xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Domain Name Server 90.207.238.97
      LAN Port
      MAC Address xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      IP Address 192.168.0.1
      DHCP On
      IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
      Modem
      ADSL Firmware Version 7.03.01.66
      Modem Status Connected
      DownStream Connection Speed 10237 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 429 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38
      Wireless Port
      Name (SSID) xxxxxxxxxxxx
      Region Europe
      Channel 12
      Wireless AP enable
      Broadcast Name enable
      I will work through point by point:
      1. As far as I am aware there is no static or crackling on the line
      2. Only use the one phone socket within the house
      3.The socket in use does have a filter on it, with a split, one for modem and one for phone
      4. I do have sky TV connected to a telephone socket, and yes there was a splitter plugged in before the filter and I have moved this around. In theory I would like three things connected up, phone, sky tv box and the modem. My current set up is the filter is in place first with the modem slot taken up by the router, the phone slot at the moment is not in use (wasn't sure if it is ok to plug a phone in or not or should I leave it open). Following filter I then have the splitter, which has in one slot the line from the modem (with filter before the splitter) and in the other slot I have the sky tv box plugged in, I hope this is correct.
      5. The cable in use is the short grey one, there is no extension lead
      6. The router itself was plugged into an extension socket but I have now moved this into a mains socket
      I hope this is enough info to start with and hopefully this does the trick, plz let me know if I can plug the phone in to the filter socket, or if this isnt advisable
      Last edited by Isitme; 11-12-09 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Personal info removed

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Click the link for Router stats in the Quick links box on the left for advice on obtaining your stats.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Ah k here at the required stats then
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 10235 kbps 1023 kbps
      Line Attenuation 23 db 11 db
      Noise Margin 7 db 8 db

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your sync speed is a bit low, but not too bad. Plug into your Tests socket, link below and post your stats from there.

You mention that you can have up to 5 using the connection. What you have to understand is that the bandwidth available has to be shared out. Under ideal circumstances it would be shared out equally, but this is seldom the case. A wired connection will normally take more than a wireless one, but more importantly, anyone using P2P or torrents etc, can swamp the connection, take most of the bandwidth and even cause it to drop.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

User05 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Follow Isitme's advice by plugging into your test socket, if you have one, and re-posting your stats.

I can almost guarantee you that by doing what you've done already, you should be seeing at least some difference to the router dropping sync - it should be a lot more stable. If it isn't, then plugging into your test socket should let give see us more insight into where the problem lies.

Regarding having the phone, router & tv plugged in altogether, it needs to look like the following (cue my TERRIBLE paint drawing!)

So, in words:

Filter directly into the telephone socket. That obviously leaves a 'modem' end and 'phone' end available. Simply plug the dsl cable into the 'modem' end. Now plug the splitter into the phone port and then that means you can have two telephony devices into the splitter, such as sky tv & your phone line.

Thanks

Many thanks for your help, I will follow your instructions and plug it in the test socket and let you know the results, good to know the phone can be plugged in too in the filter, if my understanding is correct