Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Chocolate Fireguard

This is a discussion on Chocolate Fireguard within the Sky Router forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ill start this post with Allegedly..so it might not get pulled..so everything i say is only hear say..of course!...ive been ...

Jackster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Chocolate Fireguard

Ill start this post with Allegedly..so it might not get pulled..so everything i say is only hear say..of course!...ive been reading posts on here for a week now trying to gather information to fix a little pile of Junk..(im sorry wonderfull router)..according to those who are clearly influenced by and affiliated to sky in some way (you know who ya are ) you stick out like a sore thumb...and have come to a conclusion, lets call it a revelation on how allegedly its quite easy to fix the problems with that little pile of..im sorry gotta stop goin down that road (wonderfull router)..ahem.

If your lucky enough to have already aquired a router from your previous ISP and you could get it to work with sky broadband would that allegedly solve some if not all of my problems without fixes, tweaks and a large vodka redbull.

Answer = Oh yes

Reason = Sky have bastersized the firmware on the router so you cant obtain your username or password, why would that be , when no other ISP seems that paranoid about the information, and then your tied to a router that clearly is not doing its job (Allegedly)...I have absolutely no idea (but its not hard to figure it out).

But surely were not allowed to do this because of Sky's T&C's...your not and im not saying you should im just saying allegedly does that work..(Oh yes)

And as far as T&C's go..i wonder as a consumer of sky's product how are they faring at keeping up their end of the bargain (well lets see shall we)..

Tech support = Oh dear not good, you would be better off phoning the shopping channel QVC...and they will tell u to reboot your router every 3 hours coz its fun watching all those pretty green lights go on and off (hmm nuff said)

Hardware = Router about as much good as it is with firmware and possibly without as much good as a chocolate fireguard...my wife is now using it as new flower vase (very attractive too and is far more use than plugged into my machine)

Connection Speed = now lets be flexible on this because its teething time and every ISP over estimates the speed to get you to sign up (wait a minute are they being flexible about making us use their routers..er nah!)..if you live within spitting distance of the exchange then expect anything from 6 to 12...thats not too bad...i live just about close enuf to see him throw the switch (BONUS!).

As far as finding this fantastic Fix allegedly for those with original routers
      all i can say is if you google it hard enough then jose cardoso will Come.

ill leave you with this 1 last thought for all of you like me..with up till today were stuck with that little pile of ju**..im sorry wonderfull router (allegedly)
      I wonder who's been sleeping in netgears bed

...jack

2. Advertisement
      LNB
      LNB is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Padgate LVPAD
      Broadband ISP: Connect at 5 per month
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hello Jackster.

Let's sort something out!

I don't have a Netgear router, and by choice never would, nor am I a SKY BB customer. I may be in the future but they got a lot to prove to me yet. If and when that happens, I cannot maintain a satisfactory connection and network through the "SKY router", it would be replaced by equiment of my choice. I can obtain all the necessary information to do this from the internet, but not from this site. If they did not like this, and held me in breach of their T&C's, so what.

Basically, as it stands, there appears to be no need for you to use the word allegedly so prevalently.

Please don't confuse me with someone who is influenced by SKY.

One thing I definitely condone is large vodkas (not sure about the Redbull though).
      Service recovery 02392 899292

You got 3 right!
      D'oh! Not good, dude.

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      I'm guessing your having problems with your Sky Broadband. Like near enough every person in the UK who has problems with their ISP (not just Sky) your fed up of waiting on call centre ques and forking out money paying for phone bills because you've spent an hour on hold. Join the club we've all been here, but it is sites like this one that help us with these problems. I agree that Sky's rule stating you must use they're router is rubbish and will no doubt cause them more problems in the long run. You have to understand though that this site is here to help people when it comes to their Sky Broadband connection and although you may think all the powers that be on here work for Sky, you couldn't be more wrong. At least this site has given you the means to express your views on sky's "wonderful router, " and this feedback could make it's way back to Sky.

One other point, you may find that because you are right next to the exchange you could be on the return end of a loop, hence you will have a longer line that you think. Just a theory!!

Jackster is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ok thanks i wont use the word as much...basically then people dont use the netgear router its shyte...has that cut price feel to it ...it could not maintain a wireless connection beyond 4 yards if it tried..use your old router and search the net to find out how and if your like me all your connection woe's will stop...speed is constent ..not fast but constant..my wireless network is back to normal and all 3 of my machines stay connected wireless...and all this as soon as the netgear router was demoted to the shelf behind the sinclair C5 where it belongs.

As far as i know i didnt mention any names nor did i state that anyone moderating on this site have anything to do with sky...nor am i angry ..to old and long in the tooth to become agitated or surprised by any ISP...ive been around since the BBS boards and have seen it all....my advice is to stick with sky its worth the price and usually big companys like this get it right in the end

If i was lucky enuf to be running the company the spotty little oik who recommended netgear routers running this firmware would be bounced out on his ****....thanks mickey always wanted something long enuf - yet short enuf and still not work properly...ill move closer and test it again.

A big hello to all you beard strokers and puff smokers out there...jack

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Hi Jackster

Though I do understand what you are saying I think its very unfair of you to say that Netgear routers are rubbish, I agree the GT isn't one for the best they have ever produced (and I do prefer my DG834N RangeMax) but when they do work they are very stable I have had my SkyBB GT running without any problems since I was connected to SkyBB on the 12th Sept and I have 5 other PC connected via wireless and they have never once had a problem staying connected.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

Fox McCloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NEMI
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Ideally id like to use my own adsl router

mikey4020 is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Halfway/WSHAL
      Broadband ISP: O2 Premium (4th Aug)
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks
      I'm not trying to start a "Sky Router is Brilliant!" bandwagon, but it hasn't given me any problems from my wired PC or the one laptop which connects to it via wireless.

Slightly off-topic here but does anyone think Sky may issue different routers in the future the way the do with Sky boxes.

Wheelie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stanmore LWSTAN
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      At a guess I would say yep Mikey and if these problems that they seem to be having with a lot of the routers it could well much sooner.
      Ray

Some Advice.. Its always advisable to inform your old ISP as soon as you have migrated that you have moved.

If you would like to know the straight line distance to your exchange then
      click here
      Would you like an idea of the possible speeds you will get with the Max Package then click here or for the Connect Package then click here

fixer2035 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      I have been using a DG834v2 for approx 9months with zero probs and know loads of peeps who I play online with (well at least 10 anyway ) who use an DG834 and have the same experience.

I am awaiting for my Sky router and activation date and will comment on the firmware afterwards!